Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Does Bear Spray Work? The science is clear, right? Not so fast...

Re: Does Bear Spray Work? The science is clear, right? Not so fast...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of a bear attack at all, but there's a lot of paranoia
    out there when in fact the actual potential for an outdoors person, hunter or not, to get mauled
    or killed is likely less than the chance of having an unrelated injury or being involved in a serious
    vehicle accident. Of course it does happen, but keeping vigilant and using common sense will go
    a long way in reducing that remote chance of an attack.
    Agree 100%

Use your brains be aware and odds are you have nothing to worry about

Not gonna deny the paranoia by some, but the fact is, there are a lot of negative bear encounters every year that go unreported; I'd say most.

Factor in the populous that never leaves the city or spends any real time in bear country and the odds quickly change from slim to quite possible.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Asolutely bear spray works. It’s not the answer for every situation but it certainly has its place. Most guys will sh*t their pants when faced with a charge and would be lucky to get more than a single shot off with a rifle.
    Why would you say that ? And what makes you think that a person will shit their pants and miss with a firearm capable of stopping and killing a bear, but a aerosol herb spray would make them more in control of their bowel movements and able to defend against an attack? Bullets do not get blown off course in 20 feet in a strong wind. Bullets do not get blown back in your face dropping you to the ground defenseless and blind.
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

All I will say is IF a hunter doesn't have the calm to aim and fire coolly at a charging bear at 25 yds, they sure as heck aren't going to have the nerve to effectively(if that is even a thing with pepper spray) discharge pepper spray at a charging bear at 15 ft.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    All I will say is IF a hunter doesn't have the calm to aim and fire coolly at a charging bear at 25 yds, they sure as heck aren't going to have the nerve to effectively(if that is even a thing with pepper spray) discharge pepper spray at a charging bear at 15 ft.
    Totally agree! Also many don't realize unless they've actually witnessed it, is just how fast
    a bear, black or grizzly, can run at full charge. Even if the victim accurately hits a charging
    bear full in the face with bear spray beginning at the spray's maximum range, the bear will
    be on them well before the spray has any effect, if it has some at all.

Crazy thread. a lot of good stories . I got a 45-70 just for bears but I also got pepper spray (strongest capsicum percentage ) just incase. Grabbed it from Cabelas. 45-70 from Wanstalls

Hopefully if I ever have to use the spray its just for flavoring the meat lol

My spray saved my butt when a mtn lion came at me . No, I wasnt carrying a gun that day, was reteiving tree stands after the hunting season. To be honest I never would of gotten the gun off my shoulder. It all happened that close, that fast and I dischaged my spray from the hip . Luckily you dont have to be pinpoint accurate and a good portion of the spray stream nailed it in the face.
    Unfortunately, I also wore some of it because the wind blew some back in my face.

Now replace the cat with a charging bear, would it have worked? In not sure, but at about 10 feet, Im skeptical.

I could care less about stats, or anyond elses opinion, I still carry my spray even when rifle hunting. If I think my life is in danger from an animal and I can shoot, I will. But it doesnt always work that way and its good to have options
    Last edited by Ron.C; 09-06-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I have way less faith in the average hunters abilities than you do. Most are moderately skilled and that is on stationary targets. There is nothing wrong with that for the purpose of hunting. Seen and heard my fair of oops moments from excited hunters over the years forgot the safety(I can admit to this one), ejecting a shell then pulling the trigger, loading a cigarette into the chamber, bolting the cuff of their sleeve, ejecting their clip, tripping in the moment and just plain old buck fever. Humans make mistakes under pressure hunters included.

Not all hunters are equal but all think they are awesome shots under pressure lol

Dude, I don't know what kind of circus you hang out around
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    Totally agree! Also many don't realize unless they've actually witnessed it, is just how fast
    a bear, black or grizzly, can run at full charge. Even if the victim accurately hits a charging
    bear full in the face with bear spray beginning at the spray's maximum range, the bear will
    be on them well before the spray has any effect, if it has some at all.
    i posted my one and only bear that i ever shot in the hundreds i have made contact with over my life...they do speed up alot (and get closer) especially when you raise the rifle and go from seeing them at 1x power to seeing them at 3 or 4x ...heheh

Bear spray recalled by Health Canada.
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/bear-s...tion-1.5483690

Health Canada issued a product safety warning Wednesday for four different bear deterrent products.
    Health Canada-canisters do not function properly and the product will not spray.
    https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal...75891r-eng.php
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein