Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Bear Spray Work? The science is clear, right? Not so fast...

Re: Does Bear Spray Work? The science is clear, right? Not so fast...

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Asolutely bear spray works. It’s not the answer for every situation but it certainly has its place. Most guys will sh*t their pants when faced with a charge and would be lucky to get more than a single shot off with a rifle.
    why wouldn't they s**t their pants trying to fire off a spray can( I know you are not saying this so sorry if I seem like I am)....I know which would make my butt leak more. ive never understood how anyone could argue pissing off a bear is safer than killing it...I am torn between pointing this out which might reduce someone's comfort level in the bush (creating fear) and letting someone carry on with a false sense of security...

Quote Originally Posted by DeepJeep View Post
    For hunters we have an option to carry a firearm but for hikers, bear spray is the only option other than taking precautionary measures
    You can also carry a road flare. I have a buddy in Prince Rupert who walked many north coast streams for many years for fed fish. Anytime he had to deal with a stubborn bear he would strike a flare. He says either grizzly od black they would mostly drop there head and turn away and leave.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

If a hiker has a PAL, they can carry a gun? A dominion arms 12ga, with practice, can be a very effective bear deterrent, and the shortys are very compact? Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    If a hiker has a PAL, they can carry a gun? A dominion arms 12ga, with practice, can be a very effective bear deterrent, and the shortys are very compact? Moosin
    Dominion Grizzly Compact is awesome. I take it sometimes on summer trailcam hikes

Only other thing I have to say is "oh crap not another bear spray vs gun thread"

If I could sum it up, I'd say it's good to have an extra tool in the tool box. Hard to aim a rifle when you're on the ground getting mauled. And I'd rather have my hunting partner try spraying a bear that was mauling me first rather than trying to shoot it off me. Spray has the potential to be more useful in a close surprise situation where maybe you are already knocked down. I'll take the rifle for a predatory bear following me around 1000% of the time.

But you can't some up these threads... they go on for 20 pages LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DeepJeep View Post
    For hunters we have an option to carry a firearm but for hikers, bear spray is the only option other than taking precautionary measures
    What makes you say that?
    Theres nothing stopping a hiker from packing heat if they are licensed to do so.

I used to carry my Dominion Arms Grizzly 12ga while hiking.
    Last edited by Livewire322; 08-28-2019 at 01:57 PM.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

I meant if they were unlicensed.

I believe most of our parks don’t allow folks to carry firearms regardless of licensing, which makes bear spray the only option for hikers. Outside of parks but on established hiking trails (as opposed to wilderness hiking), you might find yourself unwelcome if you chose the 12 gauge as your preferred option.

Some questions regarding Todd Orr who survived that double mauling. Full story: https://youtu.be/SOQAhKrOOww?t=111
    He clearly states that he sets off that morning with his pistol for hunting elk and his bear spray.
    What if the culture around bear spray vs firearm against a bear attack were different?
    What if the common knowledge instead was that a firearm is more effective against a bear attack than bear spray?
    Would Todd have taken out his bear spray first before his pistol as he did?
    And today, if Todd had to relive exactly that encounter, would he still use his bear spray first over his pistol?

Well, I went and asked Todd Orr himself and here's what he said:

"To be honest, I would pull both if possible.I actually practiced with bear spray in the left hand and pistol in the
    other.
    Bracing my wrists against each other for support.

I don’t want to shoot too early and an investigation resulting in a “not
    self defense” verdict.

And I still feel bear spray will work in most situations.

Tough call for sure but I will be ready and trained with both."
    Last edited by Mark-R; 08-28-2019 at 05:39 PM.

I've used it on bears in my driveway several times. It works fine to chase a garbage bear away, but not spectacular. I would prefer to use a 12guage, but its more work and might upset my neighbours a bit, as well as the local rcmp. My neighbor actually had a beer tear a hole through his garage door to get his garbage. We see lots.

One tip, if you use it and it does work.... Don't chase the bear with it, or at least check for a crosswind first.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    why wouldn't they s**t their pants trying to fire off a spray can( I know you are not saying this so sorry if I seem like I am)....I know which would make my butt leak more. ive never understood how anyone could argue pissing off a bear is safer than killing it...I am torn between pointing this out which might reduce someone's comfort level in the bush (creating fear) and letting someone carry on with a false sense of security...
    My point is that the vast majority of people will panic, especially at close range, and will be lucky if they even get a shot off, let alone hit their target.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."