Thread: Williston lake boating

Williston lake boating

I've never been on Williston yet, I want to try and check it out this long weekend for fishing and maybe scout new hunting spots, specifically want to explore the Peace Arm, would launch from the Parsnip or Callazon FSR's....have a 17' aluminum with 90hp, will be carrying spare prop

I'm comfortable in my boat out around bowen island, sandheads, etc but I have heard a lot about Williston and guys saying they wouldn't do it in less than 20' jet boat, can chew through props quickly, don't go alone, etc, etc

is this foolish to attempt in my boat? or proceed with common sense and watch the weather/wind? is it a bad season for deadheads? I appreciate honest feedback, not looking to push my limitations
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

2. Site Sponsor

guest Guest

Re: Williston lake boating

We used to hunt it regularly but thats some time ago. Yes the deadheads then were tough on props. 2 on one trip taken out of order. Always carried spares, plus a kicker just in case. Winds can come up fast and it wasnt uncommon for even Tugs to have gone down in there. But as said that was some time ago. We frequented the Mesilinka the main lake Bob Fry creek was a great spot and Ospika arms mostly. Depends on water levels.
    Take a good selevtion of spoons and spinners with spinning rods and reels. Fishing can be quite good even from shore.
    We did travel as far as Inginika and had troubles with drunk locals if you get my drift. No help in there either, law enforcement is hard to find. Ft. Ware or Germansen landing the closest.
    There are some biggin moose up that way but with hunting day n night 24/7 365 it isnt what it used to be.
    If your going in from Windy Pt off the Hart hwy take a few spares, the road can be bad. Tons of logging over the years, a few grizz problems but the locals were more trouble than the G bears. Loggers saved our bacon......was not fun, terrible experience actually with firearms involved. Good luck getting help if you need it from any one other than loggers.

Good luck to you. Play safe.

We went alone. The lake was fine. The shitty weather that can turn the lake into something awful is something to be mindful of. I can't really remember where we launched. We did go through Mackenzie. Small site outside of Mackenzie. Straight across to the Ospika. From what I remember. There's lots of roads over there and don't be surprised if you see truck traffic.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Blows up in a hurry as said. Best to plan your travel for first light before the wind if in smaller boat. Also the level can change which is something to think about if you plan to tie up somewhere and go spike out for several days.

It's a long haul to get your boat in via the Callazon Clearwater road. We did it last year but we left the truck at the hwy and pulled the boat in with the quad. It was crazy rough and slow on the road. Not much good hunting in the mountains there, better out towards the dam. Snow is too deep for moose to winter in any quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by canishunter22-250 View Post
    It's a long haul to get your boat in via the Callazon Clearwater road. We did it last year but we left the truck at the hwy and pulled the boat in with the quad. It was crazy rough and slow on the road. Not much good hunting in the mountains there, better out towards the dam. Snow is too deep for moose to winter in any quantities.
    I like it back there, have had the goat leh before and see enough big game to keep me interested, I planned to camp at the boat ramp area (probably with all the albertans lol) and rip around the lake in the mornings, mostly a fishing trip but wanted to see if the boat could provide access to some hunting spots
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Throw your pedal bike in the boat and go over to weasel creek or the ottertail road networks. You'll have the whole place to yourself that way.
    Last edited by canishunter22-250; 08-28-2019 at 09:07 PM.