Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose in BC : What’s driving the declines?

Re: Moose in BC : What’s driving the declines?

^^^^fully agree....

Very sad that this night hunting takes place and all unreported harvesting ! Wildlife needs our help !
    Arctic Lake

Black bears.....If a hunter only shoots male bears, is that really lowering the bear population?
    I think it could be raising the population of bears as the overall bear population has lost a major factor in the overall equation, male bears killing cubs....
    Not sure, but shouldn't we be targeting female bears?

interesting video, thanks for posting it up.

The unlicensed harvest needs to be addressed, especially where cow harvest is concerned. This is only a fraction, but it is a target that can be singled out and altered reasonably easily.
    A case has to be built, witnesses step forward, pictures and videos documenting actions, not just hearsay and innuendo
    We all hear of the reefer truck cruuising around BC filling its load with poached game, but nobody has produced one single bit of evidence.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Black bears.....If a hunter only shoots male bears, is that really lowering the bear population?
    I think it could be raising the population of bears as the overall bear population has lost a major factor in the overall equation, male bears killing cubs....
    Not sure, but shouldn't we be targeting female bears?
    In proportion to the population numbers, hunters are not having any effect on bears overall. Very few buy two tags let alone fill two, many are just cruising around looking for the right bear passing up opportunities.
    All bears have a potential to be a fawn/calf/lamb/kid killer, and those hunters that are concerned are putting bears down whenever possible.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

2 legged wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by 250 sav View Post
    Interesting video, I'd be interested to know how many calves die before 8 months. In my experience the young calves are killed by bears and coyotes.
    exactly, there is a big gap there from 0-8 months old, and that gap will miss a big cause for moose decline, which is obviously predation by mostly bears I suspect. They should be including pregnant cow moose in the winter to calf survival at 8 months. Probably much harder to do, but a big piece of the puzzle.

Hopefully like others have said, politicians don't bend to industry. One term I heard that I didn't like was near the end, "moose management areas"...all of BC is a moose management area ffs...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    The unlicensed harvest needs to be addressed, especially where cow harvest is concerned. This is only a fraction, but it is a target that can be singled out and altered reasonably easily.
    A case has to be built, witnesses step forward, pictures and videos documenting actions, not just hearsay and innuendo
    We all hear of the reefer truck cruuising around BC filling its load with poached game, but nobody has produced one single bit of evidence.
    Sorry for my ignorance but does this really happen ? Can you post a link . There really needs to be something done .
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    In proportion to the population numbers, hunters are not having any effect on bears overall. Very few buy two tags let alone fill two, many are just cruising around looking for the right bear passing up opportunities.
    All bears have a potential to be a fawn/calf/lamb/kid killer, and those hunters that are concerned are putting bears down whenever possible.
    My point was.....hunters target male bears almost always....its the females that need to be targeted if the bear populations are going to be diminished.
    Populations can be lowered significantly by taking out females, males not so much, similar to ungulates almost exactly.