Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose in BC : What’s driving the declines?

Moose in BC : What’s driving the declines?

Browse our online store!
    www.nechakooutdoors.ca

106 1st Street West
    Vanderhoof, BC
    250 567 9885
    mark@nechakooutdoors.ca

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose in BC : What’s driving the declines?

Good video. Are “unlicensed” hunters natives or poachers?

great research...hope our idiot politicians don't try to "confirm" the science with a poll on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Good video. Are “unlicensed” hunters natives or poachers?
    yes.......
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Excellent video.....Very well done and very informative...

Interesting video, I'd be interested to know how many calves die before 8 months. In my experience the young calves are killed by bears and coyotes.

Thanks for posting.
    I think the pine beetle has to be the most relevant issue which resulted in a slew of other problems.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

guest Guest

Hats off to these Bios doing their best with the limited resources they are given. Way to go all of you.

THAT Said...... shame on our governments past and present with the cutbacks and lack of management, lack of predator control, lack of accountability in holding logging and mining companies to better standards......and lack of Accountability in unregulated hunting, its unknown numbers to special groups.

BC could be an absolute Mecca for Fish and wildlife when proper funding and management practices take place. But we are far to far from that. Enjoy it while you can because governments here in BC and Canada could care less.......except for catering to special groups.
    Very sad indeed.

Again hats off to those trying to make this MESS better. You have a tough road ahead

Interesting for sure. Calf mortality seems really high in the bar graph. I'm betting bears are the main predators of calves. All the more reason to oppose the current anti-predator hunting pressure directed towards our government.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Interesting for sure. Calf mortality seems really high in the bar graph. I'm betting bears are the main predators of calves. All the more reason to oppose the current anti-predator hunting pressure directed towards our government.
    You will easily win the bet!
    The newborns & up to 2 months are the most vulnerable.

Bears are a major culprit in the dwindling moose numbers.

From our limited observations especially over the last dozen years or so & talking to many other hunters the bear numbers, in particular the blackies are way, way up & moose sightings, fresh signs are way, way down.

No doubt indiscriminate & uncontrolled day & night year round multi slaughter by the FN is also a big factor in the dwindling numbers.

There are other factors such as spraying, deforestation, accidents, disease, easy access…..

2017 article-bears killing calves study-with one killing 44 calves in 25 days. Overall, the bears killed an average of 34.4 moose and caribou calves over 45 days.
    The scientists focused on the period of time when the [moose and caribou] calves are most vulnerable to predation in particular the newborn.
    They kill a lot more than we think they do. A whole lot more.
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017...ootage-reveals

-No doubt the bear numbers must be reduced.
    -In some areas there are too many wolves.
    -Night hunting must be repealed & all harvested moose must be reported by the FN otherwise moose management is a joke!
    -For other hunters-no cow or calf hunting (LEH or otherwise) until full recovery +.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein