Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excited Dad

Excited Dad

Preparing for early season hunt the past few years has had me honing my archery skills and my son sighting in his 243. Usually, I hunt the mornings, we hunt together throughout the day and he joins me (as a spectator) in the evening. This year he said that he would like to bow hunt. He shoots in the school program, he shoots some 3d and he usually shoots around 30#. However, he also started rock climbing. His strength has increased as a result and was pulling 46# today. So excited that I will accompany my 14 year old on his first bow hunt this year!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Excited Dad

Thats awesome! I can’t wait till my little guy can hunt! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Redo View Post
    Preparing for early season hunt the past few years has had me honing my archery skills and my son sighting in his 243. Usually, I hunt the mornings, we hunt together throughout the day and he joins me (as a spectator) in the evening. This year he said that he would like to bow hunt. He shoots in the school program, he shoots some 3d and he usually shoots around 30#. However, he also started rock climbing. His strength has increased as a result and was pulling 46# today. So excited that I will accompany my 14 year old on his first bow hunt this year!
    Nothing better than being a proud dad!!! Enjoy these years as they go fast.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

That's awesome, best of luck to both of you! My son just turned 10 and he's pulling just over 20 at the moment, may just have to start taking him the local bouldering gym after hearing that! What's his comfortable shooting distance this year?
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

I have his tree stand set up for 20 yard shots. Could shoot out to 30 but would prefer to keep it a little closer once the Adrenalin kicks in.

Enjoy it, they grow up fast but I hope you have a partner for life there! Good Luck this season.

Good luck, read my sig line below. I get it LOL
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redo View Post

Awesome! Sounds like you will have a great hunt and season with your son.
    Best of luck!

Brian

Update: With Labour Day being on the 3rd, we only had a day and a half to hunt. Headed out on Saturday and gave my boy his first opportunity to sit in and shoot from his tree stand. He was hitting the vitals of the 3D white tail consistently out to 30 yards, so we felt he was good to go for the expected 20 yard shots in the shooting lanes. Opening morning got up, 3 generations of hunters (Grandpa, Dad and Son) all headed out to out prospective stands. After about 3 hours of slow hunting, and warming temps we called it quits for the morning and headed in for breakfast. The plan was to take my son out rifle hunting mid-day, however the excitement of bow hunting, even without an opening morning encounter, had my son hooked! He decided that if he were going to take a deer this weekend, it was going to be with a string and arrow.

We headed out again at 4:00 pm, expecting a 4+ hour sit. Now, my son usually does not sit still for 30 minutes so I was not sure how things would go. After about an hour an a half, I caught a glimpse of 2 deer heading towards my son's tree stand, as the first jumped the fence, out of my sight, I texted him, "get ready deer heading your way."

Less than 1 minute later,

son - "I got him."

son - "I got him dead center."

dad - "Are you joking?"

son - "no, I just got it, it was a three point."

dad - "Way to go bud! Did it go down or run?"

son - "Run, I can't see it from my angle."

son - "Let's go!"

dad - "Coming to you now!"

As I was gathering myself to head to my boy, a little spike wandered into my my shooting area. After about 10 minutes of trying to scare off the curious little guy without blowing the area he trotted off and i sprinted to give my son a congratulatory hug. With 25 degree weather, our celebrations were brief and grandpa, dad and son headed out to recover the deer. We didn't give too much time both due to the weather and because my son's grandfather had heard an animal crash and fall within earshot of his stand. We were pretty sure he had expired.

We let the boy do the tracking, which proved pretty easy with the amount of blood. After about 15 minutes and 100 yards we resumed our celebrations. A successful hunt for sure!

When asked to describe the event, I learned that my boy had not read my text. He was already watching the 2 deer approach him. The first crossed the fence about 50 yards from him and the second about 30 yards. He had a broadside shot at 30 but decided to stick to the plan and be patient. As the deer approached and was momentarily out of sight, he drew back and held. The buck entered the shooting lane, put his head down to feed and the rest is history!

A wise hunter! Much wiser than I was at his age.
    Last edited by Redo; 09-02-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Wow. Amazing ! Congrats