Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mu 7-41 moose draw

mu 7-41 moose draw

hey guys,
    got a bull moose draw for 7-41, me and my bro gonna make the trip up in a couple weeks. just have a few questions for those of you who have hunted or been thru this area before.
    1. are there any road closures or areas to avoid?
    2. private property to avoid
    3. are there maps online or apps that we could download that would be help full
    3. areas to focus most of our effort on, rivers, lakes, trails, mountains, fsr's?
    4. will there be an issue with gas stations in the region?
    So basically never hunted the area, we goin in blind so any help would be appreciated. Don't want honey holes just some general info would be nice. thanks in advance to those who reply or pm me...

2. Site Sponsor

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Re: mu 7-41 moose draw

You forgot to introduce yourself, and add a joke? You know, something to break the ice with folks here, before they divulge all kinds of hunting information and stuff to ya! That being said, I am sure you have done a search of the vast data base that HBC has, utilizing the search function available near the top right hand side of the page. We are friendly here, and have no problem sharing with fellow "contributors" to the community. Moosinaround
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

okey, my first post was a bust!
    i agree introduction should always come first.Names LJ I'm from the lower mainland, been hunting, fishing most of my life. been actively viewing this site for the last year or so, just became a member today. was a hassle for me to make an account and stuff, don't ask why, just lazy i guess. From now on will give knowledge and feed back when ever i can and help others out. I haven't had a leh tag in like 10 yrs and i finally get one it end up being in a area that iv never been in lol serves me right for letting my bro pic the spots this year. Farthest iv been is cranbrook area and usually hunt around 100 mile and locally merrit, kamloops areas. Moosen appreciate the reply, you being a member with a lot of knowledge you are probably one of the guys that could help me out, that is if you want to of course. As for the jk, i honestly don't know any, but if its necessary i could google one off the internet lol you all prob seen before..

You are going on safari! I have never hunted 7-41. It looks to be pretty far into the bush so you will have to be self sufficient. No quick drives to Timmies for coffee. In the regs it states that you should get in touch with the local Indian band before hunting 7-41. That is up to you. Have fun,shoot a few moose.

thats what i mean like gas and bare necessities is what I'm worried about. i emailed some guy from the band, said he couldn't offer any internal maps and told me that we had to register before we came into the region. so basically on our own. I'm ok with doing it our selves more than capable just the gas stations how far are they from where we decide to go in the bush is what I'm worried about. like how many jerry cans i need and stuff. Kinda pissed off at my bro for even picking the spot its as if he closed his eyes and put a pin against the whole bc province, if i was due for a tag he should put in for a spot closer then 7-41. oh well looking forward to the hunt always up for finding new grounds and exploring this beautiful province.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I used to know 7-41 well. Been a while since I been up there. I can offer some advise, I’ll pm you tomorrow. Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

thanks moosin appreciate it.

Welcome to the sight Kosser!

Tho I’m not much help here with the moose leh, I have hunted 7-41 twice, and scouted once. All times, we contacted the Tsay Keh band office, and their local RCMP, just to let them know we would be in the area. Both, folks from the band office, and the RCMP were very helpful. Well worth the couple phone calls if you head up that way. There was gas/diesel in Tsay Key, but it was a tad pricey, not a breaker tho. Germansen had gas at the time when we were going up there, I’m not sure, but I’d think their still operational.

In all honesty, in the 3 trips (24 days total), I never seen a moose. Mind you we hunted sheep and grizzly (no success), we hardly seen any moose sign. Our grizzly hunt was a fall hunt, mostly road hunting up over the Finlay River in the Akie area. It was pretty busy up that way with local hunting camps, which I’ll add, we had no trouble at all with.

If your looking for adventure, your trip would be a great one, I wouldn't hesitate to go again, there’s some nice country up there. The creeks were chucked full of bull trout/ dolly’s, if you go, take a fish pole and some spoons!!

It’s a long ways from anywhere, and not a lot of help up there. Be sure to be resourceful in your mechanical abilities, and have a couple/few spare tires along.

Good luck to you fellas!! Iv love to hear a report if you do head up there, as I plan on going back one day too.

Cheers!

7-41 is a long way away from anything. We have hunted up there a few times and I travel that road frequently for work. Mackenzie junction will be your last fuel stop before hitting dirt. You can get gas at the tsay keh dene reserve but you need to find out the hours and if fuel is available. The reserve is 350 km of dirt road once you leave the pavement. They are logging up that way, a radio is a very good idea. There is a logging camp at the 200km board and they are logging past that. The road can be absolutely brutal. The logging has slowed so the road will be in terrible shape. Pack tire repair kits and multiple spares for truck and trailer. There is an old guy who does tire repair, his cabin road is around the 180km mark, you will see signs. He takes cash but prefers gas, he has saved my ass before. The moose numbers aren’t as good as one would think being that far from anything. We have had success but it was not an easy hunt by any means.

pack lots of gas, tires and tools. The road is extremely unforgiving. I have lost count the number of flat tires I have had on that road.

Pretty hard to get that far off of pavement anywhere in BC. And as stated the road eats tires like crazy. It sounds like a great adventure regardless, moose will not be around every corner but there will be big bulls if you can find them. Dont know if caribou are open? Certainly bring black bear tags, and fish rods! If it was me I would use a canoe for hunting and accessing remote swamps and puddles