I would add
    hatchet
    a couple garbage bags
    First aid kit
    Moleskin
    zip fire starters from the grocery store
    emergen-c
    Spare socks
    a water bladder is handy if u have any amount of cooking to do and u want water ready for the morning.

i made my own basic first aid kit too. I’d have to look what’s in it but it’s a lot more basic than the ones u buy. Super glue and butterfly bandages. Compression or Israeli style bandage. Benadryl, Advil, aleve, cold medicine. Electrical tape. Tick tool (I’ve never actually had a tick on me). Alcohol prep pads. Tensor bandage

something else I was thinking of adding was a plastic splitting wedge to go with my hatchet for splitting wood. I’m going to pick one up right now before I forget again. The plan is to cut them in half with a table saw to lighten them up.
    Last edited by Bustercluck; 08-26-2019 at 10:05 AM.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Re: Gear Checklist - feedback appreciated

To the OP, looks like a good simple list.

One of the things I learned after my first solo backpack goat hunt was to stop carrying "extra" or "what if "items. Too easy to add considerable weight and bulk to a pack by adding items that are not absolutely required. The only item I pack a duplicate of is a flashlight, and my "spare" if my headlamp dies is a tiny single cell streamlight that weighs nothing.

Aside from that, I ditched all luxury items like "camp shoes". I only carry 10 rounds of ammo, no rifle cleaning supplies, use a 4L collapsable water bladder, boil my water for dinners and coffee in the cup I drink from. I dont carry any more clothes than is needed for the hunt im on, and ditched the saw and have no need to a hatchet while backpacking.

I do always carry my pack alarm for my backpack camp and my SPOT messanger " upgrading to a Delorem Inreach soon".
    Last edited by Ron.C; 08-26-2019 at 11:57 AM.

hatchet is definitely overrated when you have a decent knife...for firewood, there is almost always smaller sticks for a fire that can be broken by hand

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    hatchet is definitely overrated when you have a decent knife...for firewood, there is almost always smaller sticks for a fire that can be broken by hand
    I beg to differ!

Spent plenty of time working in the Yukon/BC wilderness & learned how handy a hatchet or axe is when one needs to make a quick campfire especially when cold & hungry.
    Remember-the dull side of the hatchet is a hammer!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    I beg to differ!

Spent plenty of time working in the Yukon/BC wilderness & learned how handy a hatchet or axe is when one needs to make a quick campfire especially when cold & hungry.
    Remember-the dull side of the hatchet is a hammer!
    I was referring to its requirement for firewood only on a sheep/goat/mountain hunt...otherwise, top of the list for any standing camp for me too...most of the time i'd use a rock for a hammer tho…...ive seen metal ribcage spreaders packed on a hike hunt...i've never even thought of using anything other than a stick...
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 08-26-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks for the large response and good input everyone. Instead of quoting everyone, these are the things I plan to add to the list:

-Waterproof matches
    -Hat
    -Electric tape (do most of you shoot through the tape? I usually just clean the gun when I get home and dry it out properly instead of covering barrel)
    -Caribeener
    -Pack cover, spare garbage bag, stuff sack for food hanging
    -Space blanket
    -Flagging tape
    -Tenacious tape repair tape
    -More ammo (mentioned in a few people's posts)
    -Spare baselayer/socks
    -Water bladder (go through a lot of water daily)
    -Flashlight
    -InReach (sounds like most people are using them and swear by them, I will have to suck it up and buy one)

-Question about the tripod: do most backcountry hunters pack this along? Have never bothered to use one before and don't know if the weight would justify the steadiness gained for glassing?
    -For hatchet vs just a knife: are you guys that don't use a hatchet bringing a heavier knife that you can baton logs with? Or just not breaking down firewood?

On my hunts, there is ample wood lying around for a fire so no need for a hatchet. And to be honest, we rarely have much more than a small fire for an hour at best. Usually too exhausted at the end of the day and just want to eat and get in the sleeping bag.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 08-26-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post
    Thanks for the large response and good input everyone. Instead of quoting everyone, these are the things I plan to add to the list:
    -Electric tape (do most of you shoot through the tape? I usually just clean the gun when I get home and dry it out properly instead of covering
    -InReach (sounds like most people are using them and swear by them, I will have to suck it up and buy one)

-Question about the tripod: do most backcountry hunters pack this along? Have never bothered to use one before and don't know if the weight would justify the steadiness gained for glassing?
    -For hatchet vs just a knife: are you guys that don't use a hatchet bringing a heavier knife that you can baton logs with? Or just not breaking down firewood?
    Shooting through tape is not a problem. For me the tape only comes off if I'm servicing my rifle. Bushwhacking through coastal brush, I don't want anything getting in the barrel.

As others have said, Garmin Inreach mini for me has been a game changer. I now have peace of mind when heading out of cell phone range for days, especially with a wife at home and I'm crawling through sketchy terrain.

A light tripod (I have the Manfrotto Bfree carbon) is definitely worth it's weight, having the binos steady is like an increase in magnification. The comfort will extend your glassing sessions.

Early season hunting sun up to sun down, I don't have time for a fire. Later season that starts to change.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post

-Waterproof matches
    -Hat
    -Electric tape (do most of you shoot through the tape? I usually just clean the gun when I get home and dry it out properly instead of covering barrel)
    -Caribeener
    -Pack cover, spare garbage bag, stuff sack for food hanging
    -Space blanket
    -Flagging tape
    -Tenacious tape repair tape
    -More ammo (mentioned in a few people's posts)
    -Spare baselayer/socks
    -Water bladder (go through a lot of water daily)
    -Flashlight

I always take along a large knife(a Muela Jabali) & a folding knife(BUCK).
    A Wetterlings hunting hatchet is always taken along when needed for chopping/splitting wood, mark trails, field dressing, driving nails, building a lean-to, driving pegs............... It weighs a little over 2 lbs & about 16".
    It's worth its weight in gold.

Remember hunting with LT(LOVER 308 ) near Birkenhead Lake in the late 60's meeting a couple hunters preparing a meal near a campfire. The cook was using a sharp hatchet to slice a raw onion & cut up other vegetables & meat.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

These gear lists are heavily dependant on time of year, type of hunt and the difficulty of the hike up.

I bring a small soft cooler with some beers in it to my one spot, because the ATV can get me 90% of the way there.
    In other spots, i don't even carry a leatherman anymore, because i'm trying to shave as much weight as possible.

But nonetheless, i prefer a 10" folding saw over a hatchet, any day. I keep a hatchet on the ATV, but that's about it.