Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Shooter or not?

Re: Shooter or not?

whoops not this one
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 08-28-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Think of it this way, IF biologists knew that this years fawns were still completely dependant on the doe and were worried about them surviving then they would have the wording in the regs like bears, making it illegal to take a doe with a fawn... Due to the fact that there is no such reg then I'd say it really isn't an issue and doesn't matter so is entirely up to you. Any does I've seen/shot come November had already stopped producing milk and weened the fawns. The fawns will just group up with other deer anyways. Come to think of it, with all my time in the bush and all the trail cam footage I don't think I've ever seen a doe letting a fawn suckle in the fall, August at the latest maybe. Anyone else seen fawns suckling into hunting season, especially late season when most of the doe draws/opening are?
    I have squirted my hunting partner while skinning in late October...I posted a story about my first and only elk that relates to it and I also mentioned it in the hunting pranks thread....
    post #4 in this thread
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...light=squirted

here is the rest of the story I posted previously

I will appogise in advance as I am a terrible story teller and not much better at writing them

In 2012, I eagerly contacted my hunting partner to let him know the leh draw results were out...he told me he doesn't like to check on line...bad luck he says and we chuckle...
    a week later or so when the mail arrives he phones me to say neither him or his dad (my other hunting partner) got the moose draw (we had applied individually).

He seemed upbeat considering the bad news. AHHHH I said, "now what are we gonna do?"....not to worry, he says, one of his dad's friends says he knows a spot where he had a goat draw ...he said that it is also good for elk and is overrun with whitetails....with renewed excitement at the prospect of learning a new area especially if it is loaded with huntable game we made our plans to go to an area in region 4. On the first day there, before doe season opened, we decided to go do some scouting I walked from camp (as I usually do) and he took the quad a few miles away and walked some roads...

After mid day my stomach got the better of me so I figured it was time to head back to camp...I pulled out my radio and tried to call my partners...buddy's dad was in range and back at camp...he told me he had made a nice lunch so I should hurry back...after about 5 hours of super stealthy tip toeing I was ready for a break. I turned and started to head back at a rather quick pace, rifle slung over the shoulder thinking about the nice hot meal back in camp....of course as soon as I let my guard down I scare up a big doe who runs off without a look back...awe crap, I think...I know better than to let my guard down like that so I resume walking at a stealthier pace....

sure enough after about 10 minutes I hear some noises in the timber off to my right....I stop and get into a shooting position...wind was good, I had a good rest and the noises were headed my way...struggling to control my breathing and heart rate I finally calm...it must have been at least 20 minutes but it seemed way longer....all of a sudden 2 cow elk pop out of the timber and I realize I was on a wild goose chase........oh well! that was exciting...now I hear growls...not the scary kind, just my tummy...time to go back to camp for lunch....

later in the evening I go back to the same spot but travel a bit further down an abandoned road and I reach an old cutover...I slowly make my way through it towards the timber at the far side...as I am getting to the end of the cutover I see two WT does one big and one medium sized...unfortunately they saw me too and decided to run...they were running along a ridge near the trees and there was a mountain behind so I drop to one knee and lead the big one a little...the ole m70 dialed right in and with one shot it tumbles with almost a cartwheel.....

I wait a moment pretty sure the deer is down but I still have another WT tag to fill so I approach the ridgeline slowly and quietly...as I get to the ridge I spot the 2nd deer mulling around and it instantly bolts into the trees....I try to get a shooting position but to no avail as it was now gone..i knew there was probably a good chance the big one was down where the medium one was hanging out but I decide to circle around where I think the other might have gone....
    after about 15-20 minutes of trying to find the medium doe I decide to go get the first one....it was a huge WT doe and I was pretty happy as I gutted it and dragged it across the river back to camp in the dark (only about 1km).

all of us met back at camp and hung my doe as well as another our new partner had gotten...3 deer in 2 days so far.....

after a decent meal we skinned the two we got that day...as I was skinning mine I grabbed the teets to cut around add sadly milk squirted everywhere....including on my buddy's hat...I called to him and said look at this....when he looked I nailed him with a blast of milk right in the face and we all had a good laugh...other buddy says to me....well that sucks....he says to me that I should prolly go back there and get the little one or the predators will.......I agreed that I would take the small one the next day if I could hook up with it but I never saw a small one at any time that I saw the other 2 (perhaps the fawn was already gone which might explain why the teets were so full of milk)

so for the next two mornings and evenings I go back to the same spot and look all around in every direction for about 1000m....

As light was fading on the 2nd evening looking for the little one, I decide to sit in a good vantage spot and give the area one last good look.....down and to my right is a creek with trees around it and as I am staring up towards the tree line I hear a familiar crunching noise...too loud for a deer I think to my self...must be those frisky elk cows again.....sure enough two cows are walking up the creek towards me but mostly hidden by trees...

I look away back to the tree line when I hear more crunches..i look back to the creek and see two more elk one is a calf and the other is a cow...now they have my attention so I watch them as they meander up the creek staying mostly hidden...all of a sudden I realize the last one is the biggest and it is sporting wood...I tube one and remember that I have 150 gr little bullets in the '06 so I don't blow up the little one....

I am sitting with elbows on knees trying to count points as the bull was weaving in and out of the trees......adrenalin kicks in so I take a deep breath to calm myself and look back towards the lead cow just as she decides to leave the trees of the creek and she proceeds to walk right out in front of me at about 75-100 yards....I look back to the bull 123....4...5 ahh maybe 6...now right behind the lead cow come the rest of the parade.... each one stopped in the exact spot directly in front of me..sure enough the bull came out and stopped....123..45...6 ...yesssssss...I put crosshairs on the heart and my '06 lets out a bark.....the elk doesn't even move....holy crap I am replaying the tape of storys I have heard about how tough elk are and how far they can run when they are wounded...I instinctively retube after a shot so I was ready to take a follow up right away..if needed I go for the neck on second shots....it hit spine and dropped the elk..i of course retubed and held steady on it...sure enough it tries to stand up and is now facing me...boom goes a 3rd shot (below the chin and to my righ a bit....it is still trying to stand up.....4th shot center right under the chin and down he went for good.....my first and only elk
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 08-28-2019 at 02:43 PM.

I shot a doe once in the middle of Nov. not far from Boston Bar that was with a bunch of does and fawns, there was a group of 8-10 deer. The one that I shot was still producing milk as well. The only ones that I have shot since have been by them self's or with a buck mostly yearling does I think. But that said if you have a LEH tag it's legal to shoot one.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    I couldn’t shoot a fawn, also couldn’t shoot moms

Big dry doe
    Yep, same here, passed up a many of the WT variety...