Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Region 5-15B Moose LEH Logging road access?

Re: Region 5-15B Moose LEH Logging road access?

Hello,
    I am very familiar with the area. I have been there multiple times. If I had a boat I would use it every time. If you do decide to go for the road access you should know that there are basically two cut blocks that just about every hunter sits on and they are old blocks with limited visibility. Everywhere else is a tough hunt which is where I hunt because I don't like hunting around others. ALSO!!!! And this is most important. I have hunted the area 5 out of the last 7 years. There have always been grizzlies, but last year they became ultra aggressive. We were chased out of the bush twice by different grizzlies and the moose went silent as there were at least two calf kills we came across. I saw more scat and more bears than ever and they had no fear of me at all. I heard and avoided them almost every time out. Bottom line is it is a beautiful area, but it is a tough hunt and they give out a TON of tags. I have spent around 50 days hunting the area and I have taken 2 moose. A couple of those years didn't even see a moose. There is a reason they give so many tags at such good odds. I repeat IF I had a boat I would use it EVERY TIME. Others will give you other advice, but I know the area as it is now. I have hunted it recently and often and I have seen numerous groups go for 5 days or less, pack up, and say, "Never again". There is only one other guy who goes there as much as me. We just love the country and don't have a boat. I'm not saying you won't get a moose, but the success rate on that hunt is very low over the last few years. To me just being there is a win, so I won't suggest not going, but the boat is a better idea.

Hmmm because Quesnel lake is the largest salmon spawning area in the world..they spawn in the lake..lots of grizzlies..lots of food means lots of surviving cubs....and yes these are THE most aggressive grizzlies I have encountered in BC...even more aggressive than the Tatsenshini. .
    all great points..however there still are a abundance of moose...if one knows where, why, when..
    It lends itself to the prime rut for many reasons.
    It also has very tricky problematic boundaries that have raised havoc with resident hunters..the C.O, S..involving fines and forfeitures of moose meat..numerous times..know the boundaries....
    One day drove out where some hunters were hunting..I knew where they would be. .but were still in camp at 10 am...hmmmmmmm
    There are 3 distinct areas to hunt...the area requiring a boat can errupt into a frenzy in mere moments..look for a dark pencil line on the water...it will be upon you instantly..
    If you won a tag...GO.you may indeed never draw a tag again...
    there are already a couple..3 hunt groups already headed that area..all choosing different parts for different reasons.
    Good luck.be safe
    Srupp

Yes,
    Steven is correct. KNOW THE BOUNDARIES. If you hunt near Ghost Lake know that the Matthew River is the boundary even though the map is confusing. And yes, there are moose around. They have been hunted pretty hard, though the last few years as they have given out a lot of draws (I believe 30+ in September alone). I hunt hard. I am hunting an hour before sun-up and an hour after sun-down every day. Mostly on foot. I have heard and called more moose than I have seen because of the very small windows. I love the area. All of it. It's beautiful. Steven got me excited the very first time I went, and I have been going ever since. He's a great guy and a great champion for hunters and the Cariboo Region. All that to say. I really do believe a boat is the best option for this draw. 5-15C is a whole other ball-game. That draw lends itself much better to drive in hunting. Also, you can drive to 5-15B through Likely or through Quesnel. The Quesnel route takes a bit longer, but it is shorter on the dirt and the dirt is better maintained.

I was in 5-15C last year and I can confirm that there are griz present. My buddy sitting in a cut had a face to face encounter at 17 measured yards with not one, not two, not three, but four grizzly bears; a mother with three grown cubs the size of average black bears.

I drove the Likely to Ghost Lake road three times, once to get there, once looking for propane for my buddy's fridge and once more to go back. If I ever go again, I will not take that route. Hammered the shit out of my truck.

Don't forget bells and pepper spray. And carry enough gun. I came across a pile of bear poop that would fill a 2.5 gallon pail. And it later walked right by camp. That was the November time period. Slept beside the loaded rifle for 10 days. Watch for storms if you do boat in. It can set a 33 foot boat up on a dock when it blows. Sleep in your boat 50 feet off shore if you can. Great adventure is waiting.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by JIL_24/7 View Post
    Hello,
    I am very familiar with the area. I have been there multiple times. If I had a boat I would use it every time. If you do decide to go for the road access you should know that there are basically two cut blocks that just about every hunter sits on and they are old blocks with limited visibility. Everywhere else is a tough hunt which is where I hunt because I don't like hunting around others. ALSO!!!! And this is most important. I have hunted the area 5 out of the last 7 years. There have always been grizzlies, but last year they became ultra aggressive. We were chased out of the bush twice by different grizzlies and the moose went silent as there were at least two calf kills we came across. I saw more scat and more bears than ever and they had no fear of me at all. I heard and avoided them almost every time out. Bottom line is it is a beautiful area, but it is a tough hunt and they give out a TON of tags. I have spent around 50 days hunting the area and I have taken 2 moose. A couple of those years didn't even see a moose. There is a reason they give so many tags at such good odds. I repeat IF I had a boat I would use it EVERY TIME. Others will give you other advice, but I know the area as it is now. I have hunted it recently and often and I have seen numerous groups go for 5 days or less, pack up, and say, "Never again". There is only one other guy who goes there as much as me. We just love the country and don't have a boat. I'm not saying you won't get a moose, but the success rate on that hunt is very low over the last few years. To me just being there is a win, so I won't suggest not going, but the boat is a better idea.
    ^^^Read this post a couple times, this fella is telling you something! I hunted B and C for about 30 years and did very very well, rarely coming home without being tagged out no matter how many tags we had! Then came the internet, that was the beginning of the end! Some will say FN's( too far for them), some will say Griz, (they've been thick in there forever) and others will say (wolves)! All bullshit, social media finished that area! Don't get me wrong, there is still a few Moose in there but you're really gonna have to be on your game and have a lot of luck on your side! This will be year 7 that I haven't put in for there and I almost did this year as it's a place that holds a special place in my heart as I have a lot of great memories in there! Thank christ I came to my senses, and saved my $6 and bought a ticket on the 649 instead! Never won that but saved a lot in fuel and aggravation! K

Hmmm yes there are no indians hunting the area.
    There are more grizzlies now than 10 years ago in that region..due to incredible food source..however the increased numbers means interactions between bears has increased..plenty of big 25 year old bears in there..
    Social media applies to all areas of BC..not just one management unit zone...
    Computers make finding maps, intel faster..if you do your homework..checking harvest stats..success rates..logging data..etc etc. .all the same for any species any area.
    I would suggest your years of experience would serve you well..knowing the area..boots on the ground..
    However less tags..more wolves..more grizzlies..less logging..all make it more challenging.
    The biggest issue here is access..it is divided by 3 access areas..the longest access requires a boat..skills..courage..the other 2 are many many miles seperated.
    Any area I have moose hunted has the same issues...Mehl lake..great moose spot..huge bodies and huge racks..yet the internt will provide intel..most wont realize what its telling them...the past 3 fly in hunts have been greatly served by the internet information and the wealth of knowledge gathered together for us to access.
    Cheers
    Srupp

^^^ You only have to look at LEH odds to figure it out!!! Look back at the last 20 years of LEH authorizations and you will get it also! As they say, loose lips sink ships!! It saddens me deeply what has happened to that part of Reg.5. Don't try to tell me about Griz, wolves etc, I've spoken with many many hunters and I've always asked the same question, "what inspired you to come here"? I'd say at least 3 outta 5 said they read about it on a hunting site! K

Hmmm why the attitude? Most all moose authorizations have dropped that have reasonable access...
    You are incorrect about wolves, grizzlies..
    Hmmm I live here and have only ever been asked 3x about that area...ever for moose..
    Oh well hope your day gets better.....
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm why the attitude? Most all moose authorizations have dropped that have reasonable access...
    You are incorrect about wolves, grizzlies..
    Hmmm I live here and have only ever been asked 3x about that area...ever for moose..
    Oh well hope your day gets better.....
    Srupp
    No attitude here Srupp, just being honest and trying to keep it real! I don't know why you're taking it personal if you've only been asked 3X about that area! I'll say it again, just look at the LEH authorizations for 5-15 over the last ten plus years and you'll get it, social media has been the demise of that MU! K