Recently replaced my old Garmin eTrex Legend that I got a dozen good years out of. Still works good but I said when Garmin makes a full featured GPS with inReach, I would buy one. The new 66i has inReach messaging, so I grabbed one.

It uses a rechargeable internal lithium-ion battery and comes with a standard micro-USB charging cable. Minimum 35 hours with 10-minute tracking, but they claim you can extend battery life to up to 200 hours with 30-minute tracking by switching to Expedition mode. In this mode, Bluetooth is disabled and the level of map detail is reduced (from 1-second tracking to 1-minute tracking in default mode). I'll have a Dark Energy Poseidon 10,000mah charger in base camp so I don't think the internal battery will be an issue.

You can also download high-resolution BirdsEye aerial imagery directly to the device using the built-in Wi-Fi, with no subscription required. I was able to download about 9 square KM of imagery around a specific waypoint, took about 45 minutes to download via Wifi at home.

So far I am very happy with the upgrade