Thread: Garmin GPSMAP 66i

Garmin GPSMAP 66i

Recently replaced my old Garmin eTrex Legend that I got a dozen good years out of. Still works good but I said when Garmin makes a full featured GPS with inReach, I would buy one. The new 66i has inReach messaging, so I grabbed one.

It uses a rechargeable internal lithium-ion battery and comes with a standard micro-USB charging cable. Minimum 35 hours with 10-minute tracking, but they claim you can extend battery life to up to 200 hours with 30-minute tracking by switching to Expedition mode. In this mode, Bluetooth is disabled and the level of map detail is reduced (from 1-second tracking to 1-minute tracking in default mode). I'll have a Dark Energy Poseidon 10,000mah charger in base camp so I don't think the internal battery will be an issue.

You can also download high-resolution BirdsEye aerial imagery directly to the device using the built-in Wi-Fi, with no subscription required. I was able to download about 9 square KM of imagery around a specific waypoint, took about 45 minutes to download via Wifi at home.

So far I am very happy with the upgrade
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Garmin GPSMAP 66i

I was just looking at one of those as well. Have they changed the subscriptions. Can you still get a cheap rate for the months you are not using it.

Yeah I think it's $4 a month in standby mode
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Yeah I think it's $4 a month in standby mode

Joining this his club right soon.
    Thanks for the heads up !!

does it link up with iPhone and android ?

It should, my old one did, via the Garmin Earthmate app

It says messages buffered for up to a day, are you finding text messages to be transmitted quickly?

I've been waiting for something like this! Reading reviews from mec.ca I'm holding off for now. Sounds like it's buggy and Garmin needs to work out some on going issues they are having.

Replaced the Garmin InReach Explorer + with Garmin GPSMap 66i and new 2019 BC Back Road Maps, No regrets!
    Where I walk, everything appears in grey...Loosen all hope, you who confronts me!

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Joining this his club right soon.
    Thanks for the heads up !!

does it link up with iPhone and android ?
    update - the 66i is a little different that my previous inReach for syncing with the phone. With the 66i you have to download Garmin Connect and Garmin Explore apps, this allows you to sync with your phones contacts and write messages via the phone, rather than on the 66i.

hunted for a day and a half, mainly in expedition mode with some inReach use, battery at about 70% . Shouldn't be a problem to get 4-5 full days of use from the internal battery