Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone hunting any bull (elk) archery season in the WK or EK ?

Anyone hunting any bull (elk) archery season in the WK or EK ?

My brother and I are heading the the Koots for archery season, and yes we are aware the numbers are low and pressure is high but im just curious to see if anyone else on here has the same idea ?

We plan to mostly let our eyes do the walking once we get up to some drainages and look for sign in the thicker stuff and maybe do some light calling if we can turn up some fresh stuff.

Never been to the Koots before always up north or south west, we are leaving on the 30th to do a little bit of scouting (all we have time for).

I am more just wanting to hear other bow hunters opinion on tactics early season (1st-10th)

from my understanding spikes and rags come in silent most of the time just to cow calls.

too early for bugling ?

not worried about the size of bull, would we have a better chance targeting spikes and rag horns ? or should we just go nuts with calling and try to get a response from anything that wants to play ?

or just cow calling ?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone hunting any bull (elk) archery season in the WK or EK ?

Yes I will be heading out ... not too early to call no good luck ! There are some elk around just have to find em

Live in the EK. Hunt elk with a passion. Hunt hard. Tactics? I'm not sure there is enough space on this page or site. I think there are lots of threads on elk hunting tactics on here. Personally, I bugle, I cow call. I'm not concerned about chasing a bull off with calling. If I know he's in the area, he'll change. He'll eventually get pissed at the small punk who's blowing his horn.

I keep a lot of calls at the ready. I don't wear them around my neck, but I have a few in my side pocket. Like fishing lures, if one doesn't work, something else might. Be guarded against driving up a road, finding a view spot and bugling. Elk know, that's what humans do. Find a way to separate your location and your sound from other humans.

The BOS is definitely not too early for bugling. 1 day (August 30th arrival) is not scouting. It's arriving to an area in daylight.

Good luck.

First time ever, I have installed a trail cam and salt for elk.

Its been out since late June. Been hit and miss, at first there was elk every day, then for a week or so there were none, now I am starting to see them on pics again. Couple spikes with all of the cows, which I would be more than willing to arrow, but with a group of ladies traipsing through, I know its only a matter of time before a boyfriend starts following.
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Not to early to call at all. I've had the most success early season going wayyy up, think like mountain goat up.

Yes, i am well aware that 1 day early is not scouting, we had some other priorities this summer, I should have worded that differently haha and don't worry we won't be driving around hanging out the window bugling, or doing any vocalization anywhere near the truck for that matter

But Thanks so far to everyone that has dropped any knowledge on this thread ! it all helps.

Best time of year to call a big bull in.

It's not as dire in the WK as some guys will try and make you believe. Plenty of drainages that hold elk and don't see a boot track all season.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    First time ever, I have installed a trail cam and salt for elk.

Its been out since late June. Been hit and miss, at first there was elk every day, then for a week or so there were none, now I am starting to see them on pics again. Couple spikes with all of the cows, which I would be more than willing to arrow, but with a group of ladies traipsing through, I know its only a matter of time before a boyfriend starts following.
    I run a few cams. I'm seeing an increase in moose each year. Elk: Cows and spikes on the cameras through June. The calves start to show up with the cows in early July, bulls are nearby and I see them on the camera occasionally. Seeing good recruitment this year. Although I see a cow moose with two calves up to July 7th and then she returns July 17th with only one calf. I do have blacks, Griz and wolves on the cameras. Bulls will show on the camera until about Aug 10th, then they disappear. They return around Aug 25th, looking to harem up and find some cows.

I have had zero pics of moose, grizz or wolves JT.. hope thats a good sign
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

I’m heading out solo to the WK on the 31st for my first archery elk season. Looking forward to it. Gonna go out this weekend to have a look around and check some cameras I put out a few weeks ago.