Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dodge Ram Help/ Suggestions- DEATH Wobble

Re: Dodge Ram Help/ Suggestions- DEATH Wobble

Well, the axle is about an 1/4" offset to the drivers side with the stock track bar and the drop bracket. I put the BD diesel track bar in this am and didn't centre the axle as I didn't want to mess with the steering or allignment. It drives great, feels good, and was just aligned so I am trying to keep things simple

I didn't like the look of the bushing that had just been installed in the stock track bar, but they should still have been ok.

Drove the truck, and actually thought it was fixed until I hit a stretch of road with small potholes all over the place (paved) at about 80km/h and bang, death wobble. Not nearly as bad as before I replaced almost everything in the front end, but still terible.

I also had the tires balanced the other day hoping that would help, and found the front left out quite a bit. No joy, that didn't help either.

I really had hoped to not bring the truck to Vancouver, but I don't have many options left. Big Country or Baja North would be good options?

Would North Shore off road also be good?

Add more caster. I replaced everything on the front end and it still did it, not nearly as bad but it still did it. Added a bit more caster (i believe positive 1 or 2 degrees ) and its been gone for the last 160000kms
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Do you know someone with standard tires and wheels? If you can borrow them and drive around the block that would either pin point the problem or eliminate tires. Even my sister-in-law knows what tires can do to the steering. When they traded their Cherokee on a new one, the new on had Goodyears , their old one had Michelins.

Yes, I should be able to do that. I'm having a hard time not being suspicious of the tires. Besides more caster, and another alignment I don't know what's left.. I don't have enough jackstands to change the tires over in my driveway, but I guess another set isn't going to break the bank. I was thinking about just buying some new Toyo's . My thought was, smaller tires might not wobble but how would I determine if the tire quality is issue, or bigger tires just amplify problem?

I have 315/70/17's right now, about 34.5". I would like to go to 35's.

Quote Originally Posted by khoffnbud View Post
    The trackbar should have the same geometry as stock with the drop bracket. It doesn’t matter if it’s stock height or lifted, the axle will always move side to side as the suspension cycles up and down.
    Oh yeah I missed that he has a drop bracket
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    Would North Shore off road also be good?
    North shore offroad are good guys.

How's the air pressure in your tires? A buddy of mine once spent $650 on steering parts before he put air in one tire and fixed his death wobble.

Also was thinking about this on the way home, is the caster adjustable on these trucks?
    How is the toe? 2 4' levels and a measuring tape can check it in the driveway. I run 1/8-1/4" toed in.
    Last edited by Squamch; 09-02-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Looks like it was the tires. I did a trial with a set of E rated Duratracks on the front end and it seems like my issue is gone. Tires were all inflated to max psi but still had a lot of sidewall flex. I think the upgraded track bar must of helped, but the tires must have been causing me grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    Looks like it was the tires. I did a trial with a set of E rated Duratracks on the front end and it seems like my issue is gone. Tires were all inflated to max psi but still had a lot of sidewall flex. I think the upgraded track bar must of helped, but the tires must have been causing me grief.
    Glad to hear it got sorted. I wonder if you had a separated belt or something.
    Max PSI isn't necessarily best PSI though. You'll note the sidewalk says max load XXXX at XXpsi. Max PSI usually makes the truck ride like a roller skate, and often wears tires unevenly.

Make sure the PSI in the front tires is exactly the same. Also try running 10lb more in each to see if it is better. T&S Suspension or Back40 Mechanical in Langley can get you fixed up. You cannot have any play in any of the components in the front end if you want it to drive well. EVERYTHING must be free of play. Make sure the track bar is TIGHT. VERY VERY TIGHT or it may have some movement in it. Google Lazersmith Dodge Ram track bar. They make some parts to help solve the issue.

My 05 was great with 33s. Went to 35s and was never happy with it again. They drove like shit regardless of what I did.