Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodge Ram Help/ Suggestions- DEATH Wobble

Dodge Ram Help/ Suggestions- DEATH Wobble

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions from mechanics or anyone with some experience on this. I have a fair amount of mechanical experience, although I admit mostly not with Dodges or straight axle trucks. Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks in advance.

I recently bought a used 2004 RAM 3500 5.7 diesel with 90k miles, in good shape. Lifted, with 35's. The steering seemed a bit loose, and I was expecting to have to do the front end. I had never experienced the famous death wobble, but did shortly after purchasing. Scary.

Shortly after that, I put in new shocks, batteries, ball joints, ujoints, tie rod, steering box, and a few other small things and had an allignment done. Thought that would fix it. I even changed the fuel filter, did an oil change, and had the coolant flushed. Hoping to make sure she was ready for hunting season.

So no joy,, problem back again right away when you hit a bump at around 70-80 km, usually accelerating. Checked the track bar, can't see any play. I should probably rotate the tires and get them balanced again, but have not yet.

Anything I am missing? I am going to try to get it into a mechanic I trust tomorrow, and hoping he can find the issue. I forgot to mention, the local dealership did the allignment and some of the work, they said everything was good. They suggested a road test with one of their mechanics as the next step.

Thanks again.

Ps, if you hadn't had the death wobble you will know it when it happens.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dodge Ram Help/ Suggestions- DEATH Wobble

Most times it is the track bar, do not try and rebuild with new bushings, buy a new one from Dodge. Speaking from experience with a 2003.

Track bar or control arm bushings.
    Also you did the tie rod, but not the drag link? Check the rod ends on the drag link.
    I assume you've done the standard test, where you get someone to wiggle the wheel, and put your hand on each individual wear component feeling for a click or clunk.
    Have you checked the alignment?
    Swap tires front to back. Check the balance on the tires.

Also do you have a 5.9 diesel, or a 5.7 gasser?
    Last edited by Squamch; 08-21-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Castor, check castor adjustment. I can't remember if it needed to go more positive or negative but it needed to be outside manufacturer spec by a degree or 2. I went through this with my 05 about 150k ago. Replaced almost everything and still wanted to do it a little, castor mixed it. Dales alignment in langley/surrey were, at that time the only shop that knew anything about it and they fixed it.

Also check wheel bearings didn't see that listed.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Thanks. Do you think it's worth putting an expensive one in like the bd diesel or is rough country, etc.ok?

5.9 diesel- sorry I should have caught that.
    Last edited by Muledeercrazy2; 08-21-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks, with my luck it could be a wheel bearing. Have not checked them, myself anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    Thanks. Do you think it's worth putting an expensive one in like the bd diesel or is rough country, etc.ok?
    Not sure what this is in reference to, but on my lifted f350 I have a zone offroad track bar. Its adjustable for different amounts of lift. You also need a longer track bar than stock since you're lifted, or it'll pull the axle out from under one side of the truck, and cause premature wear on steering and suspension components.

Death wobble is exciting. I had it develop after rolling a truck once, turned out the steering box bolts had backed off.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I guess I should figure out my problem before I price parts, that was in reference to replacing the track bar. It is currently an aftermarket adjustable one, and the truck is within OEM allignment specs.

Based on the advice, I will recheck the track bar, control arm bushings, and wheel bearings.

Thanks all

I have the bd adjustable track bar. Its been good for almost 200k. Wheel bearings aren't that hard to do once you get the hub off.

If you checked over all the parts its a really good chance its caster. Google dodge castor and death wobble factory spec is crap
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................