Thread: Moose & Elk Region 7-42

Moose & Elk Region 7-42

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to this forum, so as per tradition I will start with a joke

Two hunters are walking through a forest looking for deer. When all of a sudden, a giant bear jumps out and scares the shit out of them. They drop their guns and run like hell.
    One of the hunters stopped, opened up his backpack and laced up a pair of Running shoes. His buddy looked at him and said, "What are you doing? Are you crazy? You can't outrun the bear!"

To this the hunter said, "I know, all I have to do is outrun you!"

Since that's out of the way. Myself and 3 more guys are planning to go to region 7B for moose and elk on AUG 23rd for 10 days. We have never been up there before and we were wondering if anyone could help us with some tips and tricks for success. We have region 7-42 as plan A, as it open for both Elk and Moose but we are struggling to find an access road. Has anyone hunted in the area before? Plan B is 7-31 or 7-49. We are travelling by truck from Coquitlam, Vancouver. Any advice on places and access roads will help. Thanks a lot in advance

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose & Elk Region 7-42

Two feet and a heart beat.
    You are spoiling your own satisfaction.
    Best of luck !!

I have only hunted 7-50, access rds seem to be few and far between north of Ft Nelson. there are restrictions on all Motorized vehicle in some MU's. Alaska Highway has the 400 meter rule. Google earth might help if the photo's are current.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Check your maps and head into the area. If there are very few choices of roads, that makes it easier to find the best hunting spot. It is extremely satisfying to figure out your own spots and your own honey holes when you do stumble across them. You will gain more confidence for exploring on future hunts. Don't overthink it, look for slashes and swampy areas. It really is that easy. Best of luck and share your story on here when you get back.

I would stay away from Buckinghorse/Redfern area. Same with Pink Mountain. The shortened moose season will put a lot of pressure in that corridor and you don't want to drive all the way from the LML to face crowds like Stave Lake on a sunny July day.

The further north you go, the fewer people you'll find.

Bing maps is way better than Google Earth for imagery up north, btw.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?