Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2019 September Elk Hunting - Which Week?

Re: 2019 September Elk Hunting - Which Week?

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Whatever week you go, make sure you challenge every bull. Make them see red
    I second this. Looking back, I would have shot more bulls by aggressively going in (timber) after them. To awnser the op’s question, I’ve only ever hunted region 4 elk opening week or the last week of season. We’ve shot elk during both time periods but generally speaking we’ve seen more bulls opening week. The area we’ve hunted more often does not have bulls bugling opening week, at least not during shooting light. While hunting an adjacent m.u. opening week, bulls were screaming regularly and I think this depends on hunting pressure.

Yes, I should have added the loggers stated that there was some active elk bugling etc in the later part of August, but come September, by the 10th,
    they had stopped being vocal on their own.

TodBartell has some great advice, to go in after them.
    I will give them sometime to see if they come in on their own.
    I have had times where I was "too aggressive" and ended up getting in "way to close"!
    (I knew they were in there, but between their calls it is hard to know where exactly they are, and have stepped "right on them", which gives you no time
    to count points).
    But if the calls get further away, you are probably dealing with a bull with cows, and you need to get in there and switch to cow calls only.

I have watched first hand a bull with a group of cows feeding in the open of a steep hilled cut block, then in the distance you can hear a hunter coming towards
    that same area.
    The bull and cows round up in a circle, move to the edge of the timber, and the hunter never ever knew there were any elk there.
    Hunter probably thought there were no elk to be found in that area, as they didn't come back the next day.

Glassing for elk before calling is always best, imo.
    Then you can call.
    Elk will respond however in the dark, just before first light quite often and feel safe I suppose doing so.

My rule of thumb, when I get a response is to go quickly and cut the distance between us in half. Don't worry about making noise. Get in there.

As to the OP question, my most targeted hunt is the Sept 1 - 9 BOS. Never a problem locating bulls or having fun. The bush has less traffic (ORVs) and the elk patterns are more natural. But the absolute best time to hunt is in the peak of the rut. And that depends where you are, the coolness of the evening, rain, clear and the moon phase. But I don't worry too much about the moon phase. Only whether I need a flashlight or not.

As soon as the velvet comes off bulls will start roaming. It's already happening, just as it does every other year.

Now, I have had a lot of success either just before a heavy thunder shower, and sometimes right after, either 12 hours before or 12 hours post.
    Just not fun hunting in downpours and being socked in and unable to glass around.
    Heat just makes the majority of the day slow, usually, and early am or late evening are still good times, but I have seen elk hunker down in timber for days
    during a heat spell and literally sit in there! until things cool off and have seen them up to 6 days in a small spot, hardly moving at all.
    You're talking specific occurrences. A full moon will absolutely affect how much daytime activity there is. That being said, even in the heat or after a busy evening elk are up for a midday stretch and, if there's a hot cow, bulls will be dogging her instantly.

But if the calls get further away, you are probably dealing with a bull with cows, and you need to get in there and switch to cow calls only.
    Sorry Bugle but I completely disagree with this. Bulls respond with fight or flight. If it's easier to just push the cows and avoid a fight he will do that. If he has a harem and you get in tight, challenging him will set him off and he will come looking to defend. I rarely spend much time cow calling unless I am covering miles on a slow day.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    As soon as the velvet comes off bulls will start roaming. It's already happening, just as it does every other year.

You're talking specific occurrences. A full moon will absolutely affect how much daytime activity there is. That being said, even in the heat or after a busy evening elk are up for a midday stretch and, if there's a hot cow, bulls will be dogging her instantly.

Sorry Bugle but I completely disagree with this. Bulls respond with fight or flight. If it's easier to just push the cows and avoid a fight he will do that. If he has a harem and you get in tight, challenging him will set him off and he will come looking to defend. I rarely spend much time cow calling unless I am covering miles on a slow day.
    Don't have to be "sorry", even I know this.
    You would have to go back into other threads where I have talked about being damn near run over by elk, and if a bull has a harem, sometimes the only way
    you can get him to come, IS, to get in "Real Close"!, just be prepared because they can come in fast and yet be extremely quiet at full tilt!

As for full moon, it's not my favorite choice.
    If you look at moon charts, generally speaking, the full moon comes up at night and quite often rises around the time shortly after sunset.
    (granted, it changes by almost an hour each night)
    A New Moon quite often rises and sets during "daylight hours".
    So yes, there can be a difference.

That being said, I have taken elk at first light, with the full moon way up in the sky.
    Basically they got "caught" feeding using the moonlight when the sun came up.
    I find more often, they don't like coming out til way after dark during full moon, again, imo.

As for cows dodging bulls when they get up from an afternoon stretch, absolutely it happens.
    But, if it is really hot, and they are in "thick timber with shade" (and generally with a fast flowing creek near by acting as natural air conditioning), most of
    us are "never going to see that action"
    Sort of why most of us, generally like a frosty morning, cool and even wet day, as they have no need to rest in timber.

As for roaming right now, yup.
    Sometimes many think elk roam from the high country down to look during the rut.
    Not necessarily.
    Ever seen those big bulls along the big rivers all summer long??
    They will leave low country and move upwards as well, to the high country, to find cows.

Anyways, the folks with bows the past several seasons have had the best opportunities/success up in the EK.