Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 September Elk Hunting - Which Week?

Re: 2019 September Elk Hunting - Which Week?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Here’s the tip.
    You’re just about to hit the sack and are stepping out for a whiz. Forget leaking onto the ground and instead pee into the plastic container with a cap that you brought along for that sole purpose.
    Now, assuming that you haven’t pissed on your fingers, bring out your hoochie momma cow elk call a give a couple of chirps. Go to sleep and when you awake, quietly arise and be ready to shoot that bull elk as you stick your head out.
    Yup, there is some truth in there.
    Have had elk right close to camp several times now after a late night bugle or cow calling.
    If you are up getting ready for the morning hunt, and you are up a couple hours before first light to prepare for your day, always worth giving a few calls!
    Issue is trying to make sure the rest of your party stays quiet from that point on when moving about.

Also, after hiking into an area where you want to start your hunt from, give a few chirps, and they stay really quiet for 15 minutes.
    There were times we put the bikes on the tree to get our gear out and backpacks on, but stayed quiet etc.
    Would look up, not even 3 or 4 minutes and there a bull looking right at us.
    Happened more than you think.
    Right at first light!

Interesting so many on here talk about bears etc coming into there ungulate calls but now there recommending calling at night from inside there tents.

Everything seems early this year. Shades hatched early, berries were ripe down low early and the trail cams show the velvet coming off already. Just my 2 bits.

^^^^^probably a good balance between sun and rain this year (so far) to keep things green and ripe etc.
    Very different then the past few years.
    Hopefully we have a proper fall with some frost in there rather than 30+ during the days (keeping fingers crossed)

One member did share with me privately some of his trail cam photos.
    So far seeing most cows with a calf etc.
    Again, hoping they make it thru the year, but have heard several times where cows have calves late august and somewhere in September have gone missing.
    Likely culprit is wolves.

This thread makes me antsy..
    2 more weeks gentlemen!
    39 straight days of elk hunting coming up...

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    39 straight days of elk hunting coming up...
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Favorite dates are sept 10 to 22 for bull action regardless of moon phase and weather for region 7B. I would maybe change dates if its going to be stinking hot or heavy rain for days on end but so far I have just gone on the planned dates. Love when it gets cold or snows mid September and the elk get all crazy.

I would agree with Jrax��

Pretty sure the elk rut is brought on by light I think the fall equinox is the best time to plan a trip. That being said I have chased screaming bulls on sept 1st and oct 19th so go when u can.

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    Pretty sure the elk rut is brought on by light I think the fall equinox is the best time to plan a trip. That being said I have chased screaming bulls on sept 1st and oct 19th so go when u can.
    About 10 years ago someone handed me some articles to read.
    I get that people talk about the fall equinox etc being the "kick off".
    However, this article stated that there are 4 cycles, the first rut actually kicks off the last week of August or so.
    If you think about it, if you head to the parks like Jasper etc right now, you usually see evidence of that.
    Speak to loggers and many say they hear the elk bugling right about now.

So, if there are 4 cycles, then it makes sense that the 2nd one happens around the 3rd week of September.
    And then obviously, again in October.
    As for November, I have no idea, but some here have stated they have seen it happening in November.

Now, I have had a lot of success either just before a heavy thunder shower, and sometimes right after, either 12 hours before or 12 hours post.
    Just not fun hunting in downpours and being socked in and unable to glass around.
    Heat just makes the majority of the day slow, usually, and early am or late evening are still good times, but I have seen elk hunker down in timber for days
    during a heat spell and literally sit in there! until things cool off and have seen them up to 6 days in a small spot, hardly moving at all.