Thread: Small Game, Big Fun!

Small Game, Big Fun!

Hey guys, I am excited for my first hunting season in BC and more for my first every hunting season where bow hunting is legal.

With that in mind I have been looking in to broadheads (what a black hole). I think I have landed on broadheads I want to use for deer, however for small game its a different matter.
    I have read so much about the different small game points out there. I know a lot use Judo points but I was a little concerned at how flimsy they feel and the idea of them pulling fur or feathers into the meat.
    I shoot a 70lb compound so something that will limit (as much as possible) the arrow passing through and disappearing into oblivion would be helpful.

I am wondering what peoples favorite small game tips they use and why? Im looking for something that flies as close to field point as possible to 30 ish yards. And obviously not crazy expensive.

Thanks in advance.
    Ali

"It is a blessing of the wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." - Horace Kephart

"Don't ever be afraid to try something!! Remember a lone amateur built the ark and a large group of professionals built the titanic..."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Small Game, Big Fun!

Judo points all day long. Nothing tougher on the market. I’ve tried everything out there and always come back to Judos.
    They will punch square holes through grouse, and it is pretty easy to pull the feathers out that get tugged in. I’ve carried the same two or three in my quiver for the last few seasons and they have last dozens and dozens and dozens of grouse and stumps and beer cans around camp from my 72 lb draw weight.

They are also the only arrows you are likely to find after a miss...

Right on about judos being the only ones you'll find after a miss and they're a decent choice.

I like rubber blunts and hex blunts over judos though, much cheaper too...... from a stick and under 200fps so factor that in, but the rubber bludgeons do a job on small game.

I have some of the Montec SGP (Small game point) which are great but I'm too cheap to risk them when the others do a good job

The main issue I had with the Montec’s is that they aren’t as tough as the judo. If you hit anything other than flesh and leaves the arms will bend, then shear off. And if you hit anything solid they are likely going to stay there.
    The blunts are great if you have a grouse in a tree and can get it centered between you and the stem. The blunt will bounce off as opposed to sticking in. That said, if you hit anything remotely hard with a blunt other than square on the blunt will have some spectacular bounces.... Pretty likely to kiss that arrow goodbye.

All that said, use whatever your budget allows. Shooting small game with arrows is super fun. We carry bows all fall just for chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by OutsyderBC View Post
    Right on about judos being the only ones you'll find after a miss and they're a decent choice.

I like rubber blunts and hex blunts over judos though, much cheaper too...... from a stick and under 200fps so factor that in, but the rubber bludgeons do a job on small game.

I have some of the Montec SGP (Small game point) which are great but I'm too cheap to risk them when the others do a good job

I saw some rubber blunts and wondered how well they would work. I cant imagine them flying too well. I definitely dont want anything too expensive. I like hunting small game but dont want to be blowing $$$ every shot. I bought some cheaper arrows to use for small game and they fly great to 40+ yards so just need the point now. I looked at the Montec and wondered on durability, I guess Kodiak has answered that one. Do judo's work well for snowshoe hare and other small game too?
    Ali

"It is a blessing of the wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." - Horace Kephart

"Don't ever be afraid to try something!! Remember a lone amateur built the ark and a large group of professionals built the titanic..."

Judos will kill deer according to the package...
    But I can say that they will absolutely kill hares.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_G View Post
    I saw some rubber blunts and wondered how well they would work. I cant imagine them flying too well. I definitely dont want anything too expensive. I like hunting small game but dont want to be blowing $$$ every shot. I bought some cheaper arrows to use for small game and they fly great to 40+ yards so just need the point now. I looked at the Montec and wondered on durability, I guess Kodiak has answered that one. Do judo's work well for snowshoe hare and other small game too?
    Judos work great, I just prefer the blunts (rubber bludgeons) on small game. If you're worried about the arrow performance and, lets face it you'll be going short range mostly anyway, try some of the hex blunts as they're a smaller profile. They do a number on grouse and bunnies but I have passed thru with them via longbow

I have gone for the Judo points however I am also considering getting some rubber points to try. Im guessing these could also be used as practice points when in camp?
    Ali