Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Region 4 Mandatory Deer Head Submission starting Sept 1st, 2019

Re: Region 4 Mandatory Deer Head Submission starting Sept 1st, 2019

So you submit the head.....you get home and you cut up your deer and freeze it etc.....will the ministry infom/contact you if your submitted head tests positive for CWD? I thought that the disease is found in the brain/spinal cord of the animals (like BSE is found in beef cattle).....I would not want to be consuming any organs (Liver/kidneys/heart etc) from a CWD contaminated deer, and possibly none of the meat.....

Quote Originally Posted by mr604 View Post
    So you submit the head.....you get home and you cut up your deer and freeze it etc.....will the ministry infom/contact you if your submitted head tests positive for CWD? I thought that the disease is found in the brain/spinal cord of the animals (like BSE is found in beef cattle).....I would not want to be consuming any organs (Liver/kidneys/heart etc) from a CWD contaminated deer, and possibly none of the meat.....
    If positive, CWD will be present throughout the animal, including all muscle tissue
    (the same applies for BSE).
    The prion is found at a higher concentration in the brain/spinal column.

It is depressing to have to dispose of a diseased animal, exasperated if time/money was spent in processing it.

Here in Alberta, hunters have learned the hard way to Not cut up their deer until it is confirmed to be CWD free.
    Freeze in large pieces and process after the testing results have been received.
    Last edited by Walking Buffalo; 08-14-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr604 View Post
    We talked about how to keep people informed about the results of tests. Keep in mind, this is very new and details are still being worked out. To answer your question, yes, if you have an animal that tests positive, they will follow up with you. But, every person who submits is going to want to know what the results are. Using the hunting licence website, might work, but would require some modifications/cost and time. They could put a statistical graph on a public website for people to consult with. But I think the message was, people will want to know. Your right, they don't want humans to consume the meat, and it can not just be discarded. They will likely set up an incineration process to dispose of the meat and prevent it from re-entering the food chain.

I get the impression that the BC government has decided to NOT PREVENT CWD from becoming espablished in the province.

Time to update the CWD Recipes forum.
    Last edited by Walking Buffalo; 08-14-2019 at 08:10 AM.

so to be clear, it is only the wmus east of nelson that touch the us border

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    I get the impression that the BC government has decided to NOT PREVENT CWD from becoming espablished in the province.
    Didn't hear that yesterday. Until now, BC has been in a lengthy monitoring process. It isn't here yet, but it's time to step up the monitoring. There was good conversation about the various Acts and authorizations that could be used in the event it comes into BC. My impression was, they are taking this seriously.

Me thinks this CWD is goddamn stupid ...They should outlaw game farms and let animals be animals ...Our society is phucked ...Profit driven and sometimes totally ignorant ....Dennis Governments shouldn't allow this..Health Canada shouldn't allow this ....

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Didn't hear that yesterday. Until now, BC has been in a lengthy monitoring process. It isn't here yet, but it's time to step up the monitoring. There was good conversation about the various Acts and authorizations that could be used in the event it comes into BC. My impression was, they are taking this seriously.
    Following what you are saying, measures taken are in regards to CWD being found in BC.

What is being proposed to stop live CWD infected wildlife from crossing the Montana border?

Alberta F&W knew what to do when CWD was first approaching the border from Saskatchewan.
    And they could not follow through due to public objections, mostly from hunters.
    Now Alberta is basically doing what BC is proposing to do, and this has lead to skyrocketing infection rates and greatly expanding range.
    Learn from our mistakes. Don't copy them.

I have suggested many times here, including in this thread, that BC should immediately take preemptive measures by drastically reducing deer densities along the border now that CWD is within striking range of one season's migration.
    And Crickets....

I know the idea sucks. But herd reduction has proven to be effective to reduce infection rates and slow the spread.

^^ I understand. I think the answer to the question about what measures are being taken is two parts. What is Montana doing about any increase of infected animals? In BC, we're still monitoring (we have no confirmed cases in BC) and increasing the monitoring with mandatory testing in key MU's. What happens if BC has an occurrence? This was discussed in the awareness session yesterday, but I would suggest they are still looking at all options.

Silver lining to the situation is that our wildlife populations are at extreme lows.