Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on salmon

School me on salmon

Not a salmon fisherman never caught one..

So in the video of the guy with the dip net at the fish ladder was bonking some. I assune he may have wanted to keep them? Dunno

How many different types of salmon are there (i know i could google that) BUT what i am curious about is in the comments on the video some people said they were humpies? What does that mean?

Of all of the species, which are best for eating and is there a species that is just not edible..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

2. Site Sponsor

Re: School me on salmon

Chinook, sockeye and coho are what most people are after. I think sockeye are the best table fair but all three are very very good. Pinks are what people refer to as humpies and imho make for good smoked fish. Chum for me is no good..

Ive personally seen natives bring in hundreds of pinks in there nets and leave them to rot on the sandbar. Almost got in good fight with one group cause im not one to sit there quietly. Im sure there ancestors would be disgusted.

Edit im not saying want and waist is specific to natives.
    Last edited by r106; 08-11-2019 at 12:16 PM.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

So are chum so gross that no one will eat them? And why? Muddy? Mushy? Stinky?
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    When I worked for Canfisco, All chum that we processed went to Europe. There is no market here for them as we have an abundance of pinks, sockeye, coho and a few spring salmon. Europe isn't that fortunate so they buy the chum.

Chum get coloured up and start the spawning transformation fastest of the salmon once they enter the river so quality goes down hill soft/fishy. If you are lucky enough to catch a chum that is basically silver they are great smoked way better then pinks. I have only caught maybe 5 chum I deemed forth smoking though

personally not a big salmon eater anymore but prefer coho if I am going to

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Fresh Spring and Sockeye and Coho are the Best ! Chum and Pinks are good for Smoking or Dog-Cat Food ! jmo

Fresh Ocean Springs and Coho's are HARD to Beat ! RJ

Chum can be good but best to get them in the chuck rather than the river. Springs can be difficult to cook if not prepared properly. Humpy is a male pink, not bad for smoking but the female version is a better fish in my opinion. Sockeye and coho are great as well.

Fishing is awesome, but catching is best

Coho on the bbq is awesome
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

If it's a salmon and it's still silver it's tasty imo. Chum go skunky real fast. Never had a bad pink. As far as the native horror stories, there's lots out there and I'd imagine most are true. If you come to Squamish I can show you where they pile the pinks, chum and anything not chrome "so they don't catch the same fish twice".

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_horse View Post
    If it's a salmon and it's still silver it's tasty imo. Chum go skunky real fast. Never had a bad pink. As far as the native horror stories, there's lots out there and I'd imagine most are true. If you come to Squamish I can show you where they pile the pinks, chum and anything not chrome "so they don't catch the same fish twice".
    Is this the latest technique in Fisheries Management? Ha Ha