Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on Garmin GPSMAP 66i

Re: Any thoughts on Garmin GPSMAP 66i

Thanks, good to know

When i used mine there was very quick didn't have to wait minute, was talking back and forth with family
    Where I walk, everything appears in grey...Loosen all hope, you who confronts me!

been waiting a couple years now for this and would love to have one just not for 830 bucks, a little disappointing as I was told by the Garmin sales rep at the boat show that they would probably come in around the 599.00CAD mark.
    sticking with my original inreach and 64stc for now

Quote Originally Posted by Bag1 View Post
    been waiting a couple years now for this and would love to have one just not for 830 bucks, a little disappointing as I was told by the Garmin sales rep at the boat show that they would probably come in around the 599.00CAD mark.
    sticking with my original inreach and 64stc for now
    i was running 64ST and planned to spend 500$ on the Delorne I reach mini, now I can sell my 64ST for 250 easily, toss in an extra 100$ and have one unit that does everything. Same thing I did with buying range finder Bono’s.

Now i I can carry two essential pieces to my kit instead of 4!

tim hortons coffee $3, tastes like shit. Fuel $1.20/L, doesn't get me far. $830 ain't too bad
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Hows the reception?
    My inreach mini is a little bit picky. While the messages always send out fairly quickly the unit must be stationary and pointed UP. Under the canopy I've had to take it out of my pocket, put it on my hiking pole and hold way up to get it to send.

I just lay the 66i on my backpack when stopped for a break, or it laid horizontally on the tail gate in camp
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Hows the reception? My inreach mini is a little bit picky. While the messages always send out fairly quickly the unit must be stationary and pointed UP. Under the canopy I've had to take it out of my pocket, put it on my hiking pole and hold way up to get it to send.
    I found that mine takes a while when under the trees / not clear view of the sky but they go eventually. Didn't notice any significant difference sending vs. receiving (assuming sending isn't a pre-programmed message).

Is the birds eye feature good?
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

yeah it's really good. Can hold about 9sq KM on high resolution internally on the 66i