Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on Garmin GPSMAP 66i

Any thoughts on Garmin GPSMAP 66i

What are your thoughts on Garmin GpsMap 66i
    I just sold my InReach Explorer+ and thinking on pulling the trigger on this unit with BackRoad Maps
    Is it worth it?
    Last edited by Stranger In The Woods; 08-10-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    Where I walk, everything appears in grey...Loosen all hope, you who confronts me!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Any thoughts on Garmin GPSMAP 66i

Never mind ended buying one anyway
    Where I walk, everything appears in grey...Loosen all hope, you who confronts me!

me too as you seen on the other thread. It's going to be great. First hunt with it in a few days
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

It's all about keeping safe out there...

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    me too as you seen on the other thread. It's going to be great. First hunt with it in a few days

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger In The Woods View Post
    It's all about keeping safe out there...
    had a 64ST and was going to add an in reach mini this year but I ordered this instead !

fingers crossed it’s as good as it seems, should be here in time for my first real hunt of the season come sept 12th.

Still hoping some one can tell me if messages can be sent back and forth quickly? Are they really delayed up to a day?

There is a great write up on the 66i on Amazon.com. Besides some bugs and glitches that will eventually sort itself out the biggest reason I'm sticking with my Garmin 64S and a separate in reach is because of the internal battery on the new 66i.

If your using the 66i for more than a couple days backpacking/hunting away from camp and using the GPS function a lot it will eat your battery up very fast. This doesn't leave much battery life for the in reach emergency/ txt or SOS function.

One way around not having a long battery life is carrying around a couple power ponds but that extra space/weight defeats the purpose of having a single unit in my opinion. If your going to be back at camp every night than I think the Garmin 66i can be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    Still hoping some one can tell me if messages can be sent back and forth quickly? Are they really delayed up to a day?
    x2. That shouldn’t be a hard test for someone with one. I’m looking at one too. I spend too much time a long ways away from the road so if something goes wrong I could be on my own for quite a bit. Something like this would go a long ways to making my wife happy...

they show up within minutes typically
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I can’t speak for this model, but I’m pretty sure it will be the same as the regular inReach. Mine doesn’t like to send or receive if you’re moving around in tall timber. If you can see the sky and sit in one place it seems to send fairly quickly. If you’re waiting for a message you can briefly change the settings to check for messages more often and sit in a opening until you’re done and then put your message checking back to 20 min intervals.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.