Thread: Mentor needed: Vancouver

Question Mentor needed: Vancouver

I looking for a mentor to help me learn the art of hunting waterfowl. It was suggested by my local gun shop that this would be a great way to make a connection for the upcoming season. I am located in Vancouver, smart, normal guy in my 40's willing to do the work to build my knowledge and hopefully find success hunting fowl.

I am also interested in deer other upland game

Please message me if your interested or can point me in the right direction

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mentor needed: Vancouver

Too far away to help firsthand and well my waterfowl skills are so poor I should probably find a mentor myself

But I can recommend getting involved in a rod&gun club and more so skeet shooting. This will give you a good opportunity to meet waterfowl hunters and as long as you’re likeable a good chance of a mentor

Bobby my partner and I try to go out every weekend in Ladner. We are experienced enough every season we encounter new mistakes not the old ones haha. We take our share of ducks and geese. You can PM me closer to opening and we can see if our schedules work.

The requirements are pretty simple but the field knowledge is vast, I know I'm only scraping the surface.
    - shotgun with chokes. Anything over cylinder is an improvement.
    - boots and better yet waders
    - drab or camo clothing
    - clothing that can keep you warm and dry. definitely need waterproof outer layer.
    - a seat that will keep your butt out of the water if the tide is high
    - flashlight because you are going to be in the field an hour before sun up
    - bag that can stand up to the elements and even one that can be put in water
    - good attitude in the face of the elements! It can be hard work but very rewarding and fun

For now, read up all you can and go out to shoot trap and better yet skeet. Here are some links that can get you started on basic knowledge.

https://deltawaterfowl.org/strategies/

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    Bobby my partner and I try to go out every weekend in Ladner. We are experienced enough every season we encounter new mistakes not the old ones haha. We take our share of ducks and geese. You can PM me closer to opening and we can see if our schedules work.

The requirements are pretty simple but the field knowledge is vast, I know I'm only scraping the surface.
    - shotgun with chokes. Anything over cylinder is an improvement.
    - boots and better yet waders
    - drab or camo clothing
    - clothing that can keep you warm and dry. definitely need waterproof outer layer.
    - a seat that will keep your butt out of the water if the tide is high
    - flashlight because you are going to be in the field an hour before sun up
    - bag that can stand up to the elements and even one that can be put in water
    - good attitude in the face of the elements! It can be hard work but very rewarding and fun

For now, read up all you can and go out to shoot trap and better yet skeet. Here are some links that can get you started on basic knowledge.

https://deltawaterfowl.org/strategies/
    Do you hunt public land or private land with permission? I went hunting a couple times with my bosses last year, and just recently got my PAL approved. Coincidentally, they're a bit busy and unable to take me out at this time. So I'm either looking for some new hunting buddies I can tag along with until I feel comfortable enough to go solo or mentor, or public land to scout and possibly try my luck at some solo hunts. Any and all help is of course, greatly appreciated.