Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One time use food bag/pouch?

One time use food bag/pouch?

I hate mountain house, but I like the packaging. Is there such a thing where a guy can make a decent home made meal in a bag/pouch and throw it out instead of doing dishes later?

Water is often at a premium for me and I cant afford to be washing dishes with it. I'd rather eat, throw the bag away in my garbage bag and get on with my day.

I know some eat out of ziplock bags but pouring boiling water in one doesnt seem like a good idea.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: One time use food bag/pouch?

We recently made some chili and pasta dishes, dehydrated, vac-sealed and then took on a gear testing backpacking trip for a few days last week. We poured the boiling water into the vacuum seal pouch, folded over the top and clipped it closed with a bag clip to let it re-hydrate the same way a mountain house does. The home-made meals tasted way better than the mountain house meals.The two of use will be eating 100% homemade dinners for our sheep hunt which starts in 3 weeks. I did trial using a mug with a screw top on this trip - but i don't feel the added weight was worth the ability to save some food for later. GSI Fair Share Mug https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5050-8...r-Share-Mug-II. I have been storing all my dehydrated meals in the freezer, to keep them fresher.

Interesting idea. Those vacuum bags are definitely thicker than ziplock.

I use ziploc and so far, no problems. The bag does seem flimsy when filled with boiling water, so my wife made me a little fleece bag to put the ziploc in. Also keeps heat in a little better.
    Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Interesting idea. Those vacuum bags are definitely thicker than ziplock.

X2 on the vacuum packaging bags.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyLimper View Post
    I use ziploc and so far, no problems. The bag does seem flimsy when filled with boiling water, so my wife made me a little fleece bag to put the ziploc in. Also keeps heat in a little better.
    Bought a caselot of mountain house tins. Then packed them in zip lock as well. Packs way better than pouches.

I make all my own dried food and I find certain ingredients can poke little holes in the vacuum bag during the vacuuming process. Could very well be due to my set up though.
    Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    X2 on the vacuum packaging bags.

Cabelas sells vacuum seal bags that have a re-sealable "ziplock" style closure on one end. I use them when I make and freeze Jerky and pepperoni. Probably work pretty awesome for backpacking meals. They are pretty heavy and should handle hot water just fine. Ill empty the contents of a MH meal in one tonight and report back on how it works when water is added
    Last edited by Ron.C; 08-09-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyLimper View Post
    I make all my own dried food and I find certain ingredients can poke little holes in the vacuum bag during the vacuuming process. Could very well be due to my set up though.
    This discussion is about using the bag to eat out of .... a disposable bowl, if you will, not for vacuum packing.

I use Ziploc to carry separate meals, pour dry ingredients into an insulated cup... Pour water into cup. Bag done. Works great.