Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Re: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Don’t seem like much of that going on!
    Kids just have to get out and embrace being in the outdoors and love it vs fearing it.
    You are way safer in the backcountry than you are in eastside Chicago.
    Hundreds, if not thousands, bumped into grizzly bears every year.......but only a few have been hurt.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Kids just have to get out and embrace being in the outdoors and love it vs fearing it.
    You are way safer in the backcountry than you are in eastside Chicago.
    Hundreds, if not thousands, bumped into grizzly bears every year.......but only a few have been hurt.
    I completely agree with you Dave....it’s laughable that “tried and true” outdoorsmen piss their pants about being in bear country.
    The odds of becoming a bear turd aren’t high enough to throw in the towel and take up a career as a coffee shop patron.
    I’ve put in time in bear country, been in a couple of tense situations and personally know a few mauling victims.
    My advice is have fun in the outdoors....face it if a bear attack does happen it ain’t gonna play out the same as it does when you’re pre-planning for if one does.

I had my scare after numerous experiences seeing grizzly bears and admiring them.
    It was in my head for a while.....end of the day I wasn't harmed.
    They are there.
    Don't let them ever get in the way of being outdoors.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    I had my scare after numerous experiences seeing grizzly bears and admiring them.
    It was in my head for a while.....end of the day I wasn't harmed.
    They are there.
    Don't let them ever get in the way of being outdoors.
    I’m worried when we agree!

After over 50 years of hunting all over BC and doing my share of killing I have only once had an aggressive black bear bother me.
    The three ss were the solution. However be aware of your surroundings. Common sense will out smart a bear 99% of the time. If you get unlucky in the 1% think of the good times you had and accept your fate.

Because I have Grizzlyphobia I always wear the MARK V when walking off the logging road...

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    I completely agree with you Dave....it’s laughable that “tried and true” outdoorsmen piss their pants about being in bear country.
    The odds of becoming a bear turd aren’t high enough to throw in the towel and take up a career as a coffee shop patron.
    I’ve put in time in bear country, been in a couple of tense situations and personally know a few mauling victims.
    My advice is have fun in the outdoors....face it if a bear attack does happen it ain’t gonna play out the same as it does when you’re pre-planning for if one does.
    Hmmmm no one seems to be " pissing their pants "....seems like the original question of what to do in grizzly country...a couple relax enjoy..what happens will happen que sera sera...
    If your answer is go be happy..dont plan dont prepare..so be it...some prepare have thought about it..
    You obviously dont hang your game harvest in the tent with you ? See..you have thought about some parts of grizzly country..
    Have you ever thought of what to do if your partner is hanging out of a bears mouth.? What would you do ? Why ? It doesnt happen every day but it happens many tmes every year..
    When Len Jeck got attacked..he for once in a blue moon wasnt carring a rifle..his thought..its only 1 short trip...
    Im glad there are such experienced folks that dont have a plan but are determained to ridicule those that have thought some of these things through and have some sort of idea..
    Betty Franks ws fine sleeping on the slides with grizzlies everything will be fine..nothing has ever happened.....untill it did...
    Im truly sorry for adding my.02 when so many obviously have much better ideas..
    Do nothing.....ok..for ewe..
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    If you are worried about being in grizz country, alone or not, you probably wont have much fun. My biggest worry is DRIVING on a highway to grizz country where I will be safe! No way I would drive an import on the highway to grizz country!! WAY to dangerous! I feel at least a 4 door F350 with aftermarket bumpers is a bare minimum for driving to grizz country. I would feel even safer with an F550. Once on the mountain you can relax.
    What the hell does that even mean? Like you are afraid of hitting a bear? I cant even tell if this is a serious post. I assume not since i cant tell what difference it makes how many doors your truck has. Lol

This is next level messed up paranoia right there ... LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmmm no one seems to be " pissing their pants "....seems like the original question of what to do in grizzly country...a couple relax enjoy..what happens will happen que sera sera...
    If your answer is go be happy..dont plan dont prepare..so be it...some prepare have thought about it..
    You obviously dont hang your game harvest in the tent with you ? See..you have thought about some parts of grizzly country..
    Have you ever thought of what to do if your partner is hanging out of a bears mouth.? What would you do ? Why ? It doesnt happen every day but it happens many tmes every year..
    When Len Jeck got attacked..he for once in a blue moon wasnt carring a rifle..his thought..its only 1 short trip...
    Im glad there are such experienced folks that dont have a plan but are determained to ridicule those that have thought some of these things through and have some sort of idea..
    Betty Franks ws fine sleeping on the slides with grizzlies everything will be fine..nothing has ever happened.....untill it did...
    Srupp
    Your input is very important and welcome, it's unfortunate some don't sit back and read their posts over a couple of times before posting. I don't get why some are so aggressive in their opinions, the anonymous nature of the internet surely is the best place to be an expert. The bear defence thread has been discussed many times, and I understand that the wilderness does cause anxiety for the new hunter. The very best way to learn is to go out with experienced woodsmen/women (woodspeople?) that actually practise what they preach. Be alert, keep a clean camp, don't store attractants in or near your tent, once an animal is down vigilance has to ramp up. Number one rule is if you're not comfortable being in the wilderness alone, don't be. This is supposed to be a good time, you won't have a good time if you're worried all the time. Go with a group.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Srupp
    Easy Steven.....no offense meant.
    One day we’ll have to trade Betty Frank stories....knew her well.
    And Clayton Mack as well....he was a good friend of my dads from the Anahim Lake days.
    You should have seen Connie King after the grizzly family chewed him up...some kids walking home to Clesspocket after school sure had scalp tingles.
    But I guess they got over it...they still travel in grizzly country.
    How about old Frank Cushman and the bear that died on top him...his kid Tim and I were talking about that a while back.
    Wouldnt it be a bitch to save yourself from a bear and die pinned under its stinking carcass?

Anyhow I ain’t planning on getting mauled to death by a grizzly but it would probably beat sitting in an old age home shitting my pants until I croaked from old age.