Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Re: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I have seen first hand how "gun shots" can be a dinner bell for GBear.
    Think the person videos was of Redfern Country.
    Taking long shots (too far, imo) of a Bull Cariboo in a large open bull on the left side.
    A Gbear that was feeding alone way on the right side of the bowl starting hauling ass towards that bull as soon as the shots started to fire.
    Even the fact that the bull hadn't originally been hit with the first several shots until another shooter took over the attempt.
    I don't even think the bull had a clue he was the one being fired upon!
    Yet somehow that Bear sure knew.
    By the time the bull hit the ground, the bear was on it!

Now, if bears were hunted in the fall (which I think tags should have been handed out at the time), that bear would be long gone.
    Either taken by a hunter or got his ass back into deep country away from hunters.
    Gbear do not act in the manner they once did many years ago when they were hunted annually etc.
    Their fear is virtually gone to some degree.
    They now are "thinking it over" before they react it seems.
    FYI, all captured on video by one of the hunters present.

That fishing string camp alarm is a good thing.
    I live amongst 7 grizzly's as of sept 2017. Be bear aware and have fun. They do actually fear you. Unless they have cubs and are on a killed moose. Then you are SOL. I still see bow hunters with no gun.
    Alone nope!
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    Did not have a pack alarm when we were attacked. I’m not sure it would have been helpful anyway given how fast she was running before she hit our tent. Pack alarms will work well for curious bears and give one time to get ready/scare it off.
    The one time we may use bear spray!

Thanks for the input to the guy that has walked the talk. Main reason I totally trust Gary Shelton.

-another grizz encounter story.
    LT(LOVER 308 ) & I came across a huge grizz feeding on a freshly killed moose near Germansen Lake on a logging road about an hour before dark. Instead of charging the 2 guys in the VW he ran away as fast as a locomotive. LT had his 308 ready. We were headed for an old abandoned trapper's cabin not that far away. The cabin door was not very sturdy so we placed pebbles in empty cans attached to a string about 20 feet in front of the doorway & about a foot high. The bear decided to live.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    FYI, all captured on video by one of the hunters present.
    was it posted here? I would like to see that one if they are sharing it! I hunt there some years and have seen some aggressive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    I can speak to the “not all of them” spook to human voices. When we got attacked it happened as soon as we yelled at the bear. Will never forget the sound of that bear running towards our tent. You could hear the bears feet hitting the ground and getting louder and louder as it was charging...

Gun loaded in tent, headlamp on and I use a pack alarm.
    Hi Rattler. I think I remember hearing about your incident . Could you please post any links to the story .
    Thank You
    Arctic Lake

Forgot to mention.
    Don't count on campfire protection against a determined bear.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Hi Rattler. I think I remember hearing about your incident . Could you please post any links to the story .
    Thank You
    Arctic Lake
    see post 19

A bit sideways from the topic but it's about bears.
    This article in The Vancouver Sun titled:
    The horrific truth about the way our bears are managed

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-...rs-are-managed
    Stupidity knows no limit, note the words "our bears" what?
    The simple truth is the bear population is exploding, so no wonder the number of incidents are on the rise.
    Last edited by wildcatter; 08-12-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm actually it is...a dinner bell...poor advice when new hunters are relying on advice..1 chocolate bar $1600 tent gone first morning..terry never slept in a tent while guiding again..
    Hmmm big white marshmello..Rupp appreciate the analogy..really...
    Bearvalley..both my friends and mentors..Clayton Mack and Betty Franks are deceased unfortunatly..Betty some 5 years ago now .
    Srupp
    Sorry Srupp but the poor advice isn't coming from this end.

The amount of scent around camp, let alone your tent is huge. If a bear comes in, he's made the decision to check things out. Brushing your teeth outside your tent isn't stopping that.

As Bearvalley and Ourea have already said, if an attack does happen - it isn't playing out like these detailed pre-plans have been written.
    Last edited by HighCountryBC; 08-12-2019 at 09:13 PM.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Hmmm as said repeatadly..do what you want but advocating for food inside your tent for those new hunters seeking guidance is asking for problems..
    ...most times its the food..the only exception I can think about was on Kodiak island...professional guide and client attacked in the tent..the video was something along the lines of shootout at OK corral...no mention about food stuff present...
    Srupp