Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Re: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    what were you packing for heater?
    I had my T3 Swede along, with accubonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Yup that’s a grizzly going WTF are you doing in my berry patch like I was thinking . He is annoyed your there but not willing to pick a real fight over it. One of those situations the bears is trying to gage your reaction just as much as your trying to gage his. You acted no different than I would expect you use the F word less than I do

That can definitely escalate if it’s a bear with attitude. If it involves cubs or a limited food supply it’s a little more tenses. Odds are you know this already
    Luckily we didn’t see and sign of cubs on this trip. The ground was so thick with those little juniper berries, the bears are eating well. A dry year like last year tho, perhaps he may have been hungrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    RJ. And others I have been wondering if these would work to inflict a good kick in the ass so that bears realize when they see man stay away . I see that they come rated for different yardages so perhaps better to send a message before they get too close Of course it may only work for those bears that have already had that said kick in the ass . Thoughts ?
    There is a fella on the other website who has a lot of experience with Polar Bears using these .
    Arctic Lake
    I shot a couple of Bears with these and they High Tailed it out Fast and NEVER returned ! I first heard of them from the Camp Ground Boss in Stuart BC He shot Blackies and G Bears with them - Chased them off with Good Success ! RJ

Im an avid sheep hunter and hunted most of northern b.c. with my pack horses and by foot mostly solo. Ive had several encounters over 50 years with grizzly. There are several rules I follow. i never shoot at a grizzly unless my life is in imminent danger not a good thing to have a wounded grizzly for no reason . At night when i set up a camp I place a string around my camp area and hang ripped up white plastic shopping bags off it. The movement of the white plastic bag strips disturb and confuse the bears and they retreat. if i shoot something I cut about a 10 ft stick tie a piece of flagging to it and jam it in the carcass. when i return with my horses or to retrieve another load by back pack, I look to see if the stick is moving or still standing. over 40 years of doing this it has let me know on several occasions that a bear was on the kill. Best of luck and success hunting

[QUOTE=stoneramhunter;2112899]Im an avid sheep hunter and hunted most of northern b.c. with my pack horses and by foot mostly solo. Ive had several encounters over 50 years with grizzly. There are several rules I follow. i never shoot at a grizzly unless my life is in imminent danger not a good thing to have a wounded grizzly for no reason . At night when i set up a camp I place a string around my camp area and hang ripped up white plastic shopping bags off it. The movement of the white plastic bag strips disturb and confuse the bears and they retreat. if i shoot something I cut about a 10 ft stick tie a piece of flagging to it and jam it in the carcass. when i return with my horses or to retrieve another load by back pack, I look to see if the stick is moving or still standing. over 40 years of doing this it has let me know on several occasions that a bear was on the kill. Best of luck and success hunting[/QUOT

I have heard of the stick trick before , sounds like a good idea !
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    I shot a couple of Bears with these and they High Tailed it out Fast and NEVER returned ! I first heard of them from the Camp Ground Boss in Stuart BC He shot Blackies and G Bears with them - Chased them off with Good Success ! RJ
    RJ. Good to know about the rubber bullets ! The fella I mentioned I think is Boomer on GunNutz
    Arctic Lake

I spent 7 years working solo as a self employed free miner in remote wilderness areas of BC, Alberta and NWT.

During that time I carried handguns legally was never without one also had my dog with me she woke me up a few times to deal with night time visitors.

The thought of carrying rubber bullets or pepper spray never once even remotely crossed my mind.

For a rifle I mostly packed a Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 loaded with either 350gr Swift A-Frames, 525gr Beartooth Piledrivers or 550gr Jae-Bok Young Craters.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    I'll try to do this again.

It is well established fact that hunted animals have no less fear of people than UN-hunted animals.

Other than LBM, I don't know.

My comment was pure sarcasm.

wish I knew you better cuz I thought you were serious.....ever do a loud hand clap when a raven or crow flies by unaware of you...you can tell the ones that have been shot at before by the triple spiral evasive maneuver they do...heheheh

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    Just after day light dad walked us into an area where he hunted elk and even though I’d listen to dad practice with his bugle......I wasn’t prepared for the next 30min. We were up before daylight, had our breakfast and drove to our destination arriving just as it was getting light. We slowly walked the trail into the big meadow and got set up with a few trees as a blind. After a few quiet min of watching the meadow dad let out a bugle....200yds across the meadow a bull screamed back at us, after a few more bugles back and forth the wind changed and the bull went silent and disappeared. I wasn’t prepared for how electrifying that first response would be. I was scared, nervous and excited but most of all, in that instant I was hooked on elk hunting.

There is nothing like having a bull with in 20-100yds, screaming and charging through trees/alders to find a challenging bull or the cow that’s desperately calling out to him.......

I live in elkford which is pretty much dead center of the elk valley. As many on this site know we have a very healthy grizz population in this corner of the province. For the last 18yrs I have hunted elk alone more than I have with a partner. The last 6yrs I have spent a ton of time helping my son with getting his first 6pt.
    With the exception of a few yrs where I didn’t buy a tag or just couldn’t get a shot, I have taken an elk every yr since my first bull when I was 19. Between myself, my dad, my son, my uncle and friends...I have been in on at least 30 successful elk hunts over the last 18yrs, 15 of those successful hunts resulted in my elk tag being cut.

Some of these bulls were standing in the open when we were driving, some were called into cut blocks with lots of visibility and some were called into close range through thick timber and alders. During 95% of these hunts I was packing a 270 with 130gr tsx......and not once did I worry about not having enough rifle in case a grizz was encountered.

I can honestly say that encountering a grizz is something that rarely crosses my mind. Yes they live where I hunt and I have seen them while hunting but if your more focused on grizz and what to do if encountered or being out gunned.......your missing out on a lot of hunting opportunity. After all how often do you actually see a grizz while hunting let alone get within 200yds of it?? Get out hunting.....be smart, be safe and if that bad encounter happens.....make the first shot count!!
    of the 4 times I have been on 7+ day hunts up by bull river we have seen at least 1 griz 3/4 times, lost a deer out of camp off the meat pole one of those times

I hike and hunt alone quite a lot and can't honestly say I've given it a lot of thought. I do like having a dog along. I'm currently dogless though so will not have that option this year. I have not used a tent for years and feel better in the open. At least I might see him coming! There are a lot of guys who are more capable and experienced than I but I'm still here too. GD