Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Re: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Quote Originally Posted by Luka77 View Post
    Just recently I've read an article how biologists were testing effect of human voice on animal (predator) behavior, and when cougars, wolves heard human voice playing on recording it spooked them, and they've changed their paths and started avoiding that area. Same effect dogs bark had on raccoons.
    It seems that animals are spooked by predators sound and humans are predators, so I think they are spooked of people, not all of them, but most of them. are
    I can speak to the “not all of them” spook to human voices. When we got attacked it happened as soon as we yelled at the bear. Will never forget the sound of that bear running towards our tent. You could hear the bears feet hitting the ground and getting louder and louder as it was charging...

Gun loaded in tent, headlamp on and I use a pack alarm.
    Live to Hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    There have always been bear encounters saying they have to be hunted to install fear is
    just crap IMO people have been attacked and still are were there is open seasons.
    Animals that are hunted by humans are more fearful. Deer in municipal no hunting areas have no signif fear of humans because they have become conditioned to associate that humans won’t harm them. Whereas deer out in the bush are fearful and take off in a flash. Deer quickly associate humans and gun shots and buddy flopping over dead as not such a good thing!! Ever pull your truck over to take a shot at a coyote or wolf? You can immediately tell the ones that have been shot at before or seen buddy shot.....they are running flat out the moment you so much as slow down....FEAR IS LEARNED. No different for bears. They soon equate people, gun shots and death and learn it is best to avoid humans. This is where the concept of hazing comes from....provide a suitably negative stimulus and the bears learn it is simply best to avoid humans. In the absence of a negative stimulus the bears will do as they like and become more and more bold. In the absence of hunting, bears will quickly learn they have nothing to be scared of and do as they please. There will always be people attacked regardless....but there is no question that the frequency of attacks will increase as the grizzly population increases with the absence of griz hunting, and as they become less fearful of humans.
    Last edited by northof49; 08-11-2019 at 08:35 AM.

I'll try to do this again.

It is well established fact that hunted animals have no less fear of people than UN-hunted animals.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Who established that fact??
    Other than LBM, I don't know.

My comment was pure sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    I can speak to the “not all of them” spook to human voices. When we got attacked it happened as soon as we yelled at the bear. Will never forget the sound of that bear running towards our tent. You could hear the bears feet hitting the ground and getting louder and louder as it was charging...

Gun loaded in tent, headlamp on and I use a pack alarm.
    Did the pack alarm go off??

That's a great topic! I've been moose hunting by myself for over 10 years with great success. Ive also been quite lucky regarding bear encounters although I've been bluff charged 3 times by a grizzly. I'm a big believer in getting the harvested animal to camp right away whatever it takes. Leaving it overnight until morning has been treacherous for me. Always listen to the ravens and enjoy the outdoors.

^^^ I’m of different opinion. Have hunted for 45yrs mostly on my own mostly in areas with griz and have had run-ins over the years. When hunting moose/elk typically use 338win to deal with unfriendly visitors. I never process/pack in the dark. You can’t shoot what you can’t see. If I get something down at last light I simply bust the guts out, split the sternum, open the neck and couple of smaller logs under to help with airflow and cooling and tie one of the front legs off to tree to keep it open. String a tarp over a few feet above to keep the rain off and back at first light in the morning to finish processing. I hang some ribbon and mark the last 100yds with flagging trail so know when am getting close. Stop, look, listen when approaching. I don’t go in there making a bunch of noise. Have frequently had griz come in bugling and to gun shot. Processing in the dark on your own exposes you to unnecessary risk.....just not necessary. If have time can always quarter and move the quarters 300 yds down wind from gut pile and tarp there instead. It is amazing how quiet a big griz can be sneaking in. Can appear out of nowhere....lot better when can actually see them in the day light. Just the way I do things based on my experiences and works for me. Also I tend to hunt when it is cooler so bone sour not an issue if get it opened up nicely. I tend to hunt mornings more anyhow except some areas that have always produced better in the eve.
    Last edited by northof49; 08-11-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Does anyone have a pack alarm recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by steve-r View Post
    Does anyone have a pack alarm recommendation?
    As far as known, this is the only one.

http://www.packalarm.net/
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    x2 on that chief.

Some thoroughly laid out plans on here that would no doubt go out the window if something were to happen. If a bear wants to come have a sniff around your tent, it will. There is some obvious housekeeping to do around camp but brushing your teeth or a chocolate bar wrapper in your tent isn't a dinner bell.
    Hmmm actually it is...a dinner bell...poor advice when new hunters are relying on advice..1 chocolate bar $1600 tent gone first morning..terry never slept in a tent while guiding again..
    Hmmm big white marshmello..Rupp appreciate the analogy..really...
    Bearvalley..both my friends and mentors..Clayton Mack and Betty Franks are deceased unfortunatly..Betty some 5 years ago now .
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by Sakofox View Post
    That's a great topic! I've been moose hunting by myself for over 10 years with great success. Ive also been quite lucky regarding bear encounters although I've been bluff charged 3 times by a grizzly. I'm a big believer in getting the harvested animal to camp right away whatever it takes. Leaving it overnight until morning has been treacherous for me. Always listen to the ravens and enjoy the outdoors.
    Bluff charged three time by a grizzly. And you were at your kill when this happened. Those were not grizzlies, those were pussies.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"