Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Re: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

I have seen first hand how "gun shots" can be a dinner bell for GBear.
    Think the person videos was of Redfern Country.
    Taking long shots (too far, imo) of a Bull Cariboo in a large open bull on the left side.
    A Gbear that was feeding alone way on the right side of the bowl starting hauling ass towards that bull as soon as the shots started to fire.
    Even the fact that the bull hadn't originally been hit with the first several shots until another shooter took over the attempt.
    I don't even think the bull had a clue he was the one being fired upon!
    Yet somehow that Bear sure knew.
    By the time the bull hit the ground, the bear was on it!

Now, if bears were hunted in the fall (which I think tags should have been handed out at the time), that bear would be long gone.
    Either taken by a hunter or got his ass back into deep country away from hunters.
    Gbear do not act in the manner they once did many years ago when they were hunted annually etc.
    Their fear is virtually gone to some degree.
    They now are "thinking it over" before they react it seems.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by bazza View Post
    Does anyone hunt alone in Grizzly country? If so can we share some advice for novices and pros alike? Strategies & tactics to stay safe???? Protective gear etc?

Thanks
    Clean camp, understand bear behavior, if you notice recent bear activity, don't out your camp there! In the tent, I have a loaded gun, and a flashlight, as well as my headlamp. I do think about a plan when going to sleep, it is fresh in your head as you are waking to dispatch a toothed killer! I have used a pack alarm they work well! Keep dead critters away from your tent, and your associated clothes that have dead critter juices on them. I do not give bears much room when they come close to me. If they do not leave after I hollar at them, they get dead quick! Any big bore rifle with good shot placement will be adequate for a bear! go out and have fun, All of BC is bear country, so be prepared everywhere! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Nothing wrong with make your rifle your new "mistress" while going to sleep in a tent in bear country, imo!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Nothing wrong with make your rifle your new "mistress" while going to sleep in a tent in bear country, imo!
    Probably more chance of getting hurt cuddling up with a loaded rifle than there is of being a grizzly bear snack pack!

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm actually it is...a dinner bell...poor advice when new hunters are relying on advice..1 chocolate bar $1600 tent gone first morning..terry never slept in a tent while guiding again..
    Hmmm big white marshmello..Rupp appreciate the analogy..really...
    Bearvalley..both my friends and mentors..Clayton Mack and Betty Franks are deceased unfortunatly..Betty some 5 years ago now .
    Srupp
    Oh my.......

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Animals that are hunted by humans are more fearful. Deer in municipal no hunting areas have no signif fear of humans because they have become conditioned to associate that humans won’t harm them. Whereas deer out in the bush are fearful and take off in a flash. Deer quickly associate humans and gun shots and buddy flopping over dead as not such a good thing!! Ever pull your truck over to take a shot at a coyote or wolf? You can immediately tell the ones that have been shot at before or seen buddy shot.....they are running flat out the moment you so much as slow down....FEAR IS LEARNED. No different for bears. They soon equate people, gun shots and death and learn it is best to avoid humans. This is where the concept of hazing comes from....provide a suitably negative stimulus and the bears learn it is simply best to avoid humans. In the absence of a negative stimulus the bears will do as they like and become more and more bold. In the absence of hunting, bears will quickly learn they have nothing to be scared of and do as they please. There will always be people attacked regardless....but there is no question that the frequency of attacks will increase as the grizzly population increases with the absence of griz hunting, and as they become less fearful of humans.
    Have had both wolves and coyotes come out after one from there pack has been shot many times, some even seen the first one shot and still came back out, mind you we had hiked in not driving in a truck.
    Seen the same with many ungulates as well. Last year there is 2 bull moose on a slide chute a guy shoots the one in the evening and as you do gutted and left it till morning on way back runs into another
    tag holder walk out on slide there is the other bull so shoots it, guess that one didn't get the memo. Shooting a bear with a gun or hazing with rubber bullets, paint balls, dogs etc are 2 different things, a dead bear is not coming back, and personally
    I have seen hazing more effective on cats, with bears seems to depend on time of year and the food source. Many suggest black bears are more dangerous then grizzly yet they are hunted both spring and fall.
    The grizzly population may or may not increase hard to say even with out the season there is bears being shot, but one thing for sure with the increasing human population and more user groups in the out doors
    there will be more encounters. Don't believe in the dinner bell theory either.

I am also skeptical if hunting bear in wilderness areas makes them fear man. Animals living in close proximity to people are a bit different I think and all habituated to some degree.

I dont know how shooting a lone bear" griz or blackie " somehow instills fear of humans in other bears? I do know from first hand experience that bears can learn to associate the shot of a rifle with food, and I have no doubt that they can and do pick up the scent of blood/gut of human killed game and sometimes come to investigate a potentoal meal.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 08-11-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Haven't ģot one but solar powered motion yard lights for hanging meat has crossed my mind . $30 At Costco last time I seen them.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Did the pack alarm go off??
    Did not have a pack alarm when we were attacked. I’m not sure it would have been helpful anyway given how fast she was running before she hit our tent. Pack alarms will work well for curious bears and give one time to get ready/scare it off.
    Live to Hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Oh my.......
    Well I guess if you are the type to have one in the pipe already.
    In my case I rarely do unless I am ready to drop the pin, so I would say "nope".