Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Re: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Kids just have to get out and embrace being in the outdoors and love it vs fearing it.
    You are way safer in the backcountry than you are in eastside Chicago.
    Hundreds, if not thousands, bumped into grizzly bears every year.......but only a few have been hurt.
    x2 on that chief.

Some thoroughly laid out plans on here that would no doubt go out the window if something were to happen. If a bear wants to come have a sniff around your tent, it will. There is some obvious housekeeping to do around camp but brushing your teeth or a chocolate bar wrapper in your tent isn't a dinner bell.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

I agree that the chances of attack are slim, however I still use a pack alarm, have my gun with mag loaded in the tent along with a knife and my headlamp stays on my head..

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I wonder how many people have slept through bears sniffing their tent at night and don’t realize it

Personally I have been woken up to this a good number of times and there are places I pretty much expect it over a 7day or more hunt. Outside of pushing their nose against the tent I have had no issues and they just moved on. I do get a laugh out of telling my hunting partners who have slept through it once we are packed up headed home. Made a mistake telling a new hunting partner in the morning on one trip and he freaked and slept in the truck for the rest of the trip lol

Its good to pay attention and realize there is bears around it’s just part of being in the outdoors in the west but it’s way less of an issue than many think. Most bears are not going to cause you problems but yes there is a small portion of asshole bears
    Yeah happened to me a few times, kind of hard to fall asleep again after hearing the sniffing.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I agree that the chances of attack are slim, however I still use a pack alarm, have my gun with mag loaded in the tent along with a knife and my headlamp stays on my head..
    Yes I agree! But why take a chance? Better be safe than sorry!

I also fully agree with Jager that grizz have/are/will be losing fear of men. As Gary Shelton said we must instill fear of man by hunting them.

I have worked, hunted,camped,....in grizz country for over 54 years & had many,many bear encounters(mostly black) but the bear always left sometimes reluctantly. When working mostly carried a mag. revolver but sometimes a .303 as issued by the company.

Only once was charged by a huge grizzly. Eve & I thought -that was the end. Had nothing to protect us with. My gun was over 100 ft. away. Yelling is what changed his mind only feet away.
    And no! you don't crap in your pants. You become much more astute & do the best to get yourself out of the dire predicament.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

So where the heck is grizzly country? I know the odds of seeing one is better some places than others. But in BC as far as I can tell from the outskirts of Vancouver to highest peak is big bad griz country. Get over it and just get at it.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by bazza View Post
    Does anyone hunt alone in Grizzly country? If so can we share some advice for novices and pros alike? Strategies & tactics to stay safe???? Protective gear etc?

Thanks
    Hunt and am in it every day. Respect them and be as aware as you can as others have said. There have always been bear encounters saying they have to be hunted to install fear is
    just crap IMO people have been attacked and still are were there is open seasons. There is way more people in the outdoors now so bond to be more encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Yes I agree! But why take a chance? Better be safe than sorry!

I also fully agree with Jager that grizz have/are/will be losing fear of men. As Gary Shelton said we must instill fear of man by hunting them.

I have worked, hunted,camped,....in grizz country for over 54 years & had many,many bear encounters(mostly black) but the bear always left sometimes reluctantly. When working mostly carried a mag. revolver but sometimes a .303 as issued by the company.

Only once was charged by a huge grizzly. Eve & I thought -that was the end. Had nothing to protect us with. My gun was over 100 ft. away. Yelling is what changed his mind only feet away.
    And no! you don't crap in your pants. You become much more astute & do the best to get yourself out of the dire predicament.
    Mpotzold Hmmmmm I sometimes wonder if they would be able to just get one hell of a big kick in the ass that was not lethal when they encounter man that when they are near him again they get the hell out of Dodge .
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Hunt and am in it every day. Respect them and be as aware as you can as others have said. There have always been bear encounters saying they have to be hunted to install fear is
    just crap IMO people have been attacked and still are were there is open seasons. There is way more people in the outdoors now so bond to be more encounters.

Yup!

It is well established fact that hunted animals have no less fear of people than hunted animals.

How this truth cannot be so blatantly obvious to a bunch of hunters is mind-blowing....

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Yup!
    It is well established fact that hunted animals have no less fear of people than hunted animals.
    Who established that fact??

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Yup!

How this truth cannot be so blatantly obvious to a bunch of hunters is mind-blowing....
    Just recently I've read an article how biologists were testing effect of human voice on animal (predator) behavior, and when cougars, wolves heard human voice playing on recording it spooked them, and they've changed their paths and started avoiding that area. Same effect dogs bark had on raccoons.
    It seems that animals are spooked by predators sound and humans are predators, so I think they are spooked of people, not all of them, but most of them. are