Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Does anyone hunt alone in Grizzly country? If so can we share some advice for novices and pros alike? Strategies & tactics to stay safe???? Protective gear etc?

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

My take on staying safe & best protection when in grizz country
    -carry a rifle that's capable of penetrating the dense muscle, bone, fur, fat & beyond & be proficient with it. Use larger diameter bullets with a Sectional Density greater than 0.300
    -if using a shotgun use non soft slugs such as Brenneke. The buckshot may or may not work depending how close the grizz is.
    -carry a large knife along with a folding one.
    -flag the kill area in a circle about 2 ft. high if you need to come back & make a lot of noise when coming back & checking for disturbed flagging
    -if more than 1 hunter have one protect & be ready while the other field dresses
    -if by yourself have the gun fully loaded & chambered within easy reach & continuously watch & listen to the surroundings

If charged
    -aim for the body centre in a frontal charge.
    -they can run at more than 45 fps so I would start shooting at around 30 yards+.

What to watch for
    -watch for birds such as ravens & listen to rodents noise
    -look for fresh droppings & tracks
    -smelling something rotten turn around
    -if tenting electric fence may help

Finally
    NEVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN WHEN IN GRIZZ COUNTRY.
    I WOULD NEVER RELY ON BEAR SPRAY IN STOPPING A DETERMINED BEAR THAT WANTS YOU AS HIS NEXT MEAL.(Spray better than bullets is totally based on a bogus study supported by the anti gun, anti hunting groups that value bears life above ours)
    DON'T PLAY DEAD WITH ANY BEAR.
    Last edited by mpotzold; 08-09-2019 at 12:41 AM.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Use the search function and you'll find countless pages of discussion on this topic.

In my opinion, probably the best thing you can do that is rarely talked about it try to observe bears. Learn about them, gain some respect for them but you will find you will get more comfortable with them the more you see them. Funny how many panic about grizzlies, but are perfectly comfortable in around black bears.

I do allot of hunting on my own including backpack hunts.

As hunters, you break allot of bear safety rules by always trying to move with the wind in your face, game calling, being quiet, being around animal carcasses.

You have to be alert and aware of your surroundings, but I for one dont move throught the bush/mountains like there is a bear waiting behind every tree to attack me. I also dont carry anything more than my 7mm-08 while hunting. I'm not going to carry a big magnum rifle just in case. My rifle is also not in my hands ready to fire. Most of the time its on my pack. I'll admit, my last run in with a griz was close, and luckily for me he ran after a breif bluff. I never had time to get my rifle off my pack.

I do however carry a pack alarm and have strung it up when I am dressing game, and always set it up around my camp. Dressed out an elk shot solo a t sunset one year. It was warm and had to get it done. Worked till well past midnight to get it dressed and packed out. Only had a bow. I made a ton of noise and got the quarters/straps off and away from the guts as quick as I could.

I also carry a 4" fixed blade knife on the belt of my pack and bear spray.

Not going to get into the bear spray debate, been done to death on here.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 08-09-2019 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Spell

If you are hunting anywhere in BC crossing paths with grizzly is possible and run ins with black bears are a high possibility most days

I hunt solo often and in areas with good numbers of both black and grizzly. In my opinion there is no reason to stress about bears but you should use your head and be observant( your hunting you should be paying attention to sounds, sign, and animals already ). Outside of that pay attention where you set up your camp. Don’t pitch your tent on top of bear turds or in the middle of active feeding areas. Only other thing I recommend if you are sleeping in a tent in heavy bear areas sleep with a fixed blade knife under your pillow. If you are one of the truly unlucky and a bear hits your tent you are not likely to find the zipper so being able to cut your way out would come in handy. KEEP A CLEAN CAMP I can’t keep track of how many hunters have told me about bear problems as they dump bacon grease or throw scrap food on the edge of their camp

Use your brains and being observant will limit the possibility of bear problems more than anything

I agree with the above posts. Sharks might be a current reason to stay out of the water on the east coast, but bears are no reason to stay out of the woods. I hunt alone, I work alone in the bush. Working, I normally only have bear spray. When I'm bowhunting, I do have a small 12 gauge in my pack. Being safe, is mostly about being aware. Learn bear habits and observe sign. Blacks are different that grizzlies in their habits and how they react to your presence.

I pack a 7mm mag at the ready with a gun bearer so I can have gun in hands and ready to fire in 3 seconds. When hunting alone, bullet in the chamber with safety on. No pack alarm, though I have considered it, and I always want to carry a can of mace but im usually opting out of both because weight.

I don't stress too much about it but try to be as careful with food and when an animal is down. Try to be aware at all times.

I work in the bush and all I carry is bear mace. Have a handful of encounters over many years. The more you are out there the easier it gets.

Be smart and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Don’t pitch your tent on top of bear turds or in the middle of active feeding areas.
    Pffft... nonsense

You gotta show those bears you own the place.

Find an area with fresh bear sign all over and set up in the most obvious path of travel. This creates an obstruction and demonstrates your confidence.

Next you want to walk around the area looking for scent markers or freshly broken saplings and pee on them. And in the case of freshly broken saplings, cut off the broken tips and throw them off into a distance. This is particularly effective during the spring when boars are self conscious during mating season.

As for fresh scat, you gotta do some dirty work. If you find a big pile, grab a stick and flick and disburse it by sweeping and flinging, then pee there too. This shows them you are pretty sick, twisted and unpredictable. And you're going to be doing quite a bit of peeing, so be sure to be drinking a lot of beer throughout the whole process. A 12 pack should do.

Then go back to your tent. One last task before settling in is to make sure all your food is safe inside the tent and spray the area around your tent with bear spray.

After all this, if you do by whatever slight chance happen to hear a bear outside the tent, this is where the fawn distress call comes in handy. Start blowing the crap out of it so it sounds like a fawn getting absolutely wrecked. This should intimidate the bear so you can sleep soundly.

If the unthinkable happens and a bear gets aggressive with you, the most effective tactic is the same as breaking up a dog fight (google it) except you want to use at least 3 fingers.

Or you could take your chances listen to Wild One Actually for legal reasons, I have to acknowledge his assessments are effective and proven.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Pffft... nonsense

You gotta show those bears you own the place.

Find an area with fresh bear sign all over and set up in the most obvious path of travel. This creates an obstruction and demonstrates your confidence.

Next you want to walk around the area looking for scent markers or freshly broken saplings and pee on them. And in the case of freshly broken saplings, cut off the broken tips and throw them off into a distance. This is particularly effective during the spring when boars are self conscious during mating season.

As for fresh scat, you gotta do some dirty work. If you find a big pile, grab a stick and flick and disburse it by sweeping and flinging, then pee there too. This shows them you are pretty sick, twisted and unpredictable. And you're going to be doing quite a bit of peeing, so be sure to be drinking a lot of beer throughout the whole process. A 12 pack should do.

Then go back to your tent. One last task before settling in is to make sure all your food is safe inside the tent and spray the area around your tent with bear spray.

After all this, if you do by whatever slight chance happen to hear a bear outside the tent, this is where the fawn distress call comes in handy. Start blowing the crap out of it so it sounds like a fawn getting absolutely wrecked. This should intimidate the bear so you can sleep soundly.

If the unthinkable happens and a bear gets aggressive with you, the most effective tactic is the same as breaking up a dog fight (google it) except you want to use at least 3 fingers.

Or you could take your chances listen to Wild One Actually for legal reasons, I have to acknowledge his assessments are effective and proven.

But you’re way sounds way more entertaining lol

Is bear spray like mosquito repellant? You’re supposed to douse yourself in it to repel bears right?

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    My take on staying safe & best protection when in grizz country
    -carry a rifle that's capable of penetrating the dense muscle, bone, fur, fat & beyond & be proficient with it. Use larger diameter bullets with a Sectional Density greater than 0.300
    -if using a shotgun use non soft slugs such as Brenneke. The buckshot may or may not work depending how close the grizz is.
    -carry a large knife along with a folding one.
    -flag the kill area in a circle about 2 ft. high if you need to come back & make a lot of noise when coming back & checking for disturbed flagging
    -if more than 1 hunter have one protect & be ready while the other field dresses
    -if by yourself have the gun fully loaded & chambered within easy reach & continuously watch & listen to the surroundings

If charged
    -aim for the body centre in a frontal charge.
    -they can run at more than 45 fps so I would start shooting at around 30 yards+.

What to watch for
    -watch for birds such as ravens & listen to rodents noise
    -look for fresh droppings & tracks
    -smelling something rotten turn around
    -if tenting electric fence may help

Finally
    NEVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN WHEN IN GRIZZ COUNTRY.
    I WOULD NEVER RELY ON BEAR SPRAY IN STOPPING A DETERMINED BEAR THAT WANTS YOU AS HIS NEXT MEAL.(Spray better than bullets is totally based on a bogus study supported by the anti gun, anti hunting groups that value bears life above ours)
    DON'T PLAY DEAD WITH ANY BEAR.

Well said...especially the point about never let your guard down

I carry an air horn, bear spray and a 12g defender.