Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Re: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Make the first one ! One of these ! https://www.cabelas.ca/product/98388...ld-rubber-slug RJ
    RJ. And others I have been wondering if these would work to inflict a good kick in the ass so that bears realize when they see man stay away . I see that they come rated for different yardages so perhaps better to send a message before they get too close Of course it may only work for those bears that have already had that said kick in the ass . Thoughts ?
    There is a fella on the other website who has a lot of experience with Polar Bears using these .
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    RJ. And others I have been wondering if these would work to inflict a good kick in the ass so that bears realize when they see man stay away . I see that they come rated for different yardages so perhaps better to send a message before they get too close Of course it may only work for those bears that have already had that said kick in the ass . Thoughts ?
    There is a fella on the other website who has a lot of experience with Polar Bears using these .
    Arctic Lake
    I have not used rubber slugs but I have educated bears to keep away from my house with a slingshot with success

That’s explains it better wild one, a flemmy huff, almost like a flemmy moose grunt, but faster and not as deep. He did seem agitated, curious... and hungry lol.

I will try and get the video on imgur and share it in here.

See if this works, a few seconds in, you can see what he (I think) does with his throat.

https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s

Typically just means they are agitated and not too happy....a warning. Can go either way depending on demeanour and age of bear. I have had a mid-size griz popping jaws and hissing like a cat.....basically blowing air and spit. Simply letting me know he wasn’t happy. Good he wasn’t sure of himself or would have been a bad situation. Had been waiting on my back trail in ambush situation in thick stuff. Ended up following me for 3km after stand-off. One of the few times I wasn’t packing heat....those situations make you feel pretty insignificant.
    Last edited by northof49; 08-20-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Great video!!! Good job on challenging him.

Yes great video to have....he was definitely measuring you up and certainly took some time making up his mind who was who in the pecking order. You handled it perfectly....obviously. I think you said there was two of you which likely made all the difference. If only one of you he likely would have been more determined. Thanks for the share...great footage. It’s times like that I’m happy to be packing my 338 or 300.
    Last edited by northof49; 08-20-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Yes great video to have....he was definitely measuring you up and certainly took some time making up his mind who was who in the pecking order. You handled it perfectly....obviously. I think you said there was two of you which likely made all the difference. If only one of you he likely would have been more determined. Thanks for the share...great footage. It’s times like that I’m happy to be packing my 338 or 300.
    Ha, my girlfriend was behind a balsam patch boing business just out of sight of camp, but she was the one who seen the bear first and alerted me, my dog’s nose was going wild too, which had us on alert to begin with. We only had the one rifle, which I had in my hands (bear spray stayed on her belt after that)

I honestly thought about a warning shot, but if he decided to take charge at the shot, reloading and getting a aim might have been tricky, so I opted to just keep ready, just in case.

what were you packing for heater?

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    See if this works, a few seconds in, you can see what he (I think) does with his throat.

https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s
    Yup that’s a grizzly going WTF are you doing in my berry patch like I was thinking . He is annoyed your there but not willing to pick a real fight over it. One of those situations the bears is trying to gage your reaction just as much as your trying to gage his. You acted no different than I would expect you use the F word less than I do

That can definitely escalate if it’s a bear with attitude. If it involves cubs or a limited food supply it’s a little more tenses. Odds are you know this already