Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Re: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmmm no one seems to be " pissing their pants "....seems like the original question of what to do in grizzly country...a couple relax enjoy..what happens will happen que sera sera...
    If your answer is go be happy..dont plan dont prepare..so be it...some prepare have thought about it..
    You obviously dont hang your game harvest in the tent with you ? See..you have thought about some parts of grizzly country..
    Have you ever thought of what to do if your partner is hanging out of a bears mouth.? What would you do ? Why ? It doesnt happen every day but it happens many tmes every year..
    When Len Jeck got attacked..he for once in a blue moon wasnt carring a rifle..his thought..its only 1 short trip...
    Im glad there are such experienced folks that dont have a plan but are determained to ridicule those that have thought some of these things through and have some sort of idea..
    Betty Franks ws fine sleeping on the slides with grizzlies everything will be fine..nothing has ever happened.....untill it did...
    Im truly sorry for adding my.02 when so many obviously have much better ideas..
    Do nothing.....ok..for ewe..
    Srupp
    Easy Steven.....no offense meant.
    One day we’ll have to trade Betty Frank stories....knew her well.
    And Clayton Mack as well....he was a good friend of my dads from the Anahim Lake days.
    You should have seen Connie King after the grizzly family chewed him up...some kids walking home to Clesspocket after school sure had scalp tingles.
    But I guess they got over it...they still travel in grizzly country.
    How about old Frank Cushman and the bear that died on top him...his kid Tim and I were talking about that a while back.
    Wouldnt it be a bitch to save yourself from a bear and die pinned under its stinking carcass?

Anyhow I ain’t planning on getting mauled to death by a grizzly but it would probably beat sitting in an old age home shitting my pants until I croaked from old age.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmmm some great points...
    I buy a new white cotton t shirt for camping..it stays in its package, when setting up the tent I throw the new white sleep shirt in.
    No food no candies, dont even brush your teeth in your tent.cook and wash away from your sleeping.
    When you go to your tent,,, knife flashlight rifle accompany you..if a bear visits you at night treat it as PREDATORY..if the door of the tent is occupied by said bear, or he flopps down on the tent..use the knife to make a exit..until out rifle is useless..flashlight is to see what to shoot. .
    This brings us to the gleaming white new t shirt. .at 3am tired anxious terrified things happen really fast the white helps in the confusion to identify the good guys..you..your partner..
    Not eveyone who gets attacked dies..actually deaths are not the norm..however most shot by said partner by accident confusion do die.
    If bear grabs your partner aim for bears ass end direction AWAY from bears mouth thats holding your partner..shoot in the hip..KEEP YOUR RIFLE ON THAT SAME EXACT SPOT...the bear will drop partner do a 180 and where his hip was his head will be..shoot in head.
    Once down ensure bear is dead..now deal with your injued partner.
    Aiming anywhere along a bear towards the head the bullet may travel along the spine towards the mouth holding the bears tent taco dinner..usually fatal at close range for both bear and victim.
    tents are for sleeping..not eating.nothing in there to attract bears dinner attraction.
    Cheers
    srupp
    You know, I always take a cotton t-shirt for sleeping in, as it's comfortable and nice to get out of the merino or polypro. But never a white one. That's not a bad idea. Many of us have woken up to grizzly tracks around the tent, you always kinda wonder what if?

Like most people that spend lots of time around bears, they don't scare me, but I've also ran into a few bears-black and grizzly- that were real assholes. No need to live in fear, but taking a few standard precautions and being aware of your surroundings is always a good idea.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Up to recently human smell kept grizzly away. Meat in our camp was ours, you want it come take it , we shall see what happens with-no hunt. Bottom line bears shouldn’t make u lose sleep , go out enjoy and don’t worry about the what if’s
    Last edited by Deaddog; 08-09-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Grizzly numbers are increasing since no hunting allowed, so are incidents and it will get worse.
    The question is when will those making the decisions realize that was maybe not the best idea.
    Oh, I forget the antis will do everything to not have grizzly hunting reinstated.
    Anyway, it will not keep me from going out in the bush, but will make me more aware of the
    surroundings and ready to tackle whatever comes.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Just be Beary aware.

I'm most worried about suprising a bear. Distance is a huge factor and if you surprise a bear in close you've got none. Distance gives you lots and time and options.

Carry bear spray and a knife on my hip at all times, you get used to it pretty quick.

Going back fifty or 60 years ago, grizzlies had fear of man and would book it for parts unknown once man was detected.
    The reason for this was to that in most cases man would fire a shot into a grizzly once spotted. Shots were not always lethal to the bear and those survivors instilled fear of humans into other bears simply avoiding human contact.
    Times have changed as the practice of indiscriminate shots fired at grizzly and blacks too has fallen into disfavour through regulation. As a result, over the past 40 or fifty years, grizzlies fear has diminished and they have regained title ”Emperor of the Forest”. Shots heard now are an attracting dinner bell for “meat on the ground”. And the race is on.
    I think that solo day hunting trips are not too much of an issue. You just had your wits about your surroundings. However, it’s much easier to get the after the shot job done if you have a companion along.
    Multi-day trips are better with a hunting partner. But if that is not possible then one should take a little extra precaution.
    Hunting solo.
    Park your tent, if it’s possible, so it is only approachable from one direction and away from game trails.
    Have detachable scope rings. Trying to find the target in the dark and at close quarters is extremely difficult. Having the scope off will make it easier for target acquisition.
    Invest in a pack-alarm. Advanced warnings of intruders is most
    beneficial.
    Have a Spot or Inreach device to assure folks back home you’re okay or summon help if required.
    And the knife at hand whether it be for creating a new opening in the tent or stabbing away is sound advice.
    A leanto with a mattress of spruce boughs and a small fire out front with a reflector. Been there, done that.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

A couple years ago we started using a Pack Alarm. The units are small and light and work as advertised. Two years ago we had a grizzly come into camp at about 1:00am. The alarm woke us up and scared the bear
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Good to know that if I roll into a hunting camp at Zero Dark Thirty and see a GIANT marshmallow walking towards me, it's just Rupp. Hahaha.

Used to sleep in a tent in Grizz country with my Buck fixed blade right by my side . Will upgrade to my BK9 next time. Oh also now have a Remington 870 Police to sleep with but that would not come with me in a hike in situation .
    Arctic Lake

I wonder how many people have slept through bears sniffing their tent at night and don’t realize it

Personally I have been woken up to this a good number of times and there are places I pretty much expect it over a 7day or more hunt. Outside of pushing their nose against the tent I have had no issues and they just moved on. I do get a laugh out of telling my hunting partners who have slept through it once we are packed up headed home. Made a mistake telling a new hunting partner in the morning on one trip and he freaked and slept in the truck for the rest of the trip lol

Its good to pay attention and realize there is bears around it’s just part of being in the outdoors in the west but it’s way less of an issue than many think. Most bears are not going to cause you problems but yes there is a small portion of asshole bears