Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Re: Hunting alone in Grizzly country

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    FYI, all captured on video by one of the hunters present.
    Does anyone have a link to this video?

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineStalker View Post
    Does anyone have a link to this video?
    Nope, it was a personal video I was given to watch but have given it back some years ago now.
    I recall other threads some years ago on here with a member talking about one Gbear in the southern EK area that a few folks had given a name to.
    Again, they said once shots were fired, the bear would come in and hunters had to give up the quarry to the bear.
    I suppose some of those members have long since left HBC also?
    The right place with the right bear who has had some experience and success with hunters and their game does exist, thus the dinner bell from shots fired.
    Most areas it's the gutpile that most likely brings them in.
    Again, another thread somewhere back in here somewhere where someone I think had a Moose (Elk) down and was getting it ready on the horse when
    they were attacked.
    IT's not a frequent thing for sure, but I am of the opinion that "these days" bears tend to be a lot more unpredictable then years ago.
    Years ago you would have been hard pressed to ever see one.
    Now I spot them in the cut blocks more than I do elk and moose combined!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    Did not have a pack alarm when we were attacked. I’m not sure it would have been helpful anyway given how fast she was running before she hit our tent. Pack alarms will work well for curious bears and give one time to get ready/scare it off.
    Ah ok thanks for the info, glad your ok...

When hunting in grizzly country alone just carry a bottle of Chuck Norris urine with you. One sniff and the bears will be scared shitless and running for their lives.

A tree stand is a good way to prevent an ambush.
    Sometimes she goes, sometimes she don't go. That's just the way she goes Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by Paulyman View Post
    Hard to get your tent or downed elk in your tree stand...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    As far as known, this is the only one.

http://www.packalarm.net/
    Just ordered one...
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

We did as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulyman View Post
    But then you need to be weather aware!

https://www.geek.com/news/lightning-...photo-1799907/
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Just after day light dad walked us into an area where he hunted elk and even though I’d listen to dad practice with his bugle......I wasn’t prepared for the next 30min. We were up before daylight, had our breakfast and drove to our destination arriving just as it was getting light. We slowly walked the trail into the big meadow and got set up with a few trees as a blind. After a few quiet min of watching the meadow dad let out a bugle....200yds across the meadow a bull screamed back at us, after a few more bugles back and forth the wind changed and the bull went silent and disappeared. I wasn’t prepared for how electrifying that first response would be. I was scared, nervous and excited but most of all, in that instant I was hooked on elk hunting.

There is nothing like having a bull with in 20-100yds, screaming and charging through trees/alders to find a challenging bull or the cow that’s desperately calling out to him.......

I live in elkford which is pretty much dead center of the elk valley. As many on this site know we have a very healthy grizz population in this corner of the province. For the last 18yrs I have hunted elk alone more than I have with a partner. The last 6yrs I have spent a ton of time helping my son with getting his first 6pt.
    With the exception of a few yrs where I didn’t buy a tag or just couldn’t get a shot, I have taken an elk every yr since my first bull when I was 19. Between myself, my dad, my son, my uncle and friends...I have been in on at least 30 successful elk hunts over the last 18yrs, 15 of those successful hunts resulted in my elk tag being cut.

Some of these bulls were standing in the open when we were driving, some were called into cut blocks with lots of visibility and some were called into close range through thick timber and alders. During 95% of these hunts I was packing a 270 with 130gr tsx......and not once did I worry about not having enough rifle in case a grizz was encountered.

I can honestly say that encountering a grizz is something that rarely crosses my mind. Yes they live where I hunt and I have seen them while hunting but if your more focused on grizz and what to do if encountered or being out gunned.......your missing out on a lot of hunting opportunity. After all how often do you actually see a grizz while hunting let alone get within 200yds of it?? Get out hunting.....be smart, be safe and if that bad encounter happens.....make the first shot count!!
    Last edited by j270wsm; 08-19-2019 at 07:43 AM.