Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting on Mining Claims ?

Re: Hunting on Mining Claims ?

Is there a way to find out if a mining area (larger scale) has maps to show where they may have a no hunting no shooting area???
    This is actually a good thread.
    Or is the only way to find out to have to contact mine directly?
    Or would there be a page on a Ministry site to find these areas of restriction.
    Should be on the ministry site and not just left up to the mining companies and sites, imo.

Best to ask the leasee. How would govt ever keep up with activities on a site?
    And why should they, govt should btfo and keep their hands off more not create extra layers

note- need to find the 411 for Jade Fever so I can drop in on an episode
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Leases aren’t very common unlike regular mining claims, and generally only operation mines or advanced stage exploration projects are on leases. If you have a look at the regs some of the no shooting areas are shown, for example region 4. Teck has probably the largest mining lease areas in the province and they post maps on their website and you can download the kml file. Their no-hunting areas are marked by cut lines.

If anyone wants, PM me and I can send a kml file of all the mining leases in BC

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Is there a way to find out if a mining area (larger scale) has maps to show where they may have a no hunting no shooting area???
    This is actually a good thread.
    Or is the only way to find out to have to contact mine directly?
    Or would there be a page on a Ministry site to find these areas of restriction.
    Should be on the ministry site and not just left up to the mining companies and sites, imo.
    Most of the Operational mines will post notices in local papers about access and hunting restrictions. Swissrallyman and Twoseven0 have summed it up fairly well. A mining right provides ownership of the subsurface minerals. Not the surface. A Lease, will provide some authority to the surface for development/construction of infrastructure.

Most mining titles are claims. The owner has a right to occupy, but not restrict the surface use. The only exception is if they have an active exploration permit, the nature of which deems they must manage access for safety reasons.
    The information is public. You can do a search online. You can use the map and zero in on your area of interest, or if you have tenure number you can use the search at.... https://www.mtonline.gov.bc.ca/mtov/home.do
    To hunt on a mining claim, you are not required to give notice. If they are actively working the land, they are required to post the land.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Best to ask the leasee. How would govt ever keep up with activities on a site?
    To keep a mining claim in good standing, the owner is required to do work. The owners are required to file a statement of work periodically to validate they are holding the title in compliance with the Mineral Tenure Act. To do mechanized work, requires a permit under the Mines Act and the holding of a security. Bond. Exploration projects are audited and inspected by Gov on a regular scheduled basis.

I know here in the Princeton area a lot of claims have had to remove their gates. A lot have no trespassing signs, not sure if they are legal, and I have seen temporary signs on some claims during hunting season advising that there are people working on the claim.
    Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Thanks JT and all, good stuff. and much appreciated!

^^ In Princeton (and the Boundary, West Kootenay) there are a lot of "Crown Granted" mineral claims. These ceased to be created in 1957. Although they continue to exist. The holder of a CGMC pays a tax and it is, an interest in the land. The Crown Granted Mineral Claim, when it was created issued two titles. One for surface and the other for subsurface. So it is possible the owner might have rights to both surface and subsurface. But not in most cases.

i have two claims...if i am working it your are not coming in...if i am not i leave it open...
    on another note i am not allowed to hunt on my claims..

Thanks everyone for their input, this is the exactly what I had figured,

In the hunting regulations it mentions Government lease property is to be treated like private property. This makes makes sense in the case of a mining lease because they are extremely large, high traffic mining operations. This includes Land Use Leases for rock Quarry's and Gravel pits. Mining Lease are pretty easy to identify on the mineral titles website map.

This thread was specifically created to address the problem when you encounter mining claim owners that are putting up gates, no Hunting Signs or No Trespassing Signs and they are not actively mining or exploring said claim. How to check their legitimacy to restrict access and hunting.
    "A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be"

Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Most of the Operational mines will post notices in local papers about access and hunting restrictions. Swissrallyman and Twoseven0 have summed it up fairly well. A mining right provides ownership of the subsurface minerals. Not the surface. A Lease, will provide some authority to the surface for development/construction of infrastructure.

Most mining titles are claims. The owner has a right to occupy, but not restrict the surface use. The only exception is if they have an active exploration permit, the nature of which deems they must manage access for safety reasons.
    The information is public. You can do a search online. You can use the map and zero in on your area of interest, or if you have tenure number you can use the search at.... https://www.mtonline.gov.bc.ca/mtov/home.do
    To hunt on a mining claim, you are not required to give notice. If they are actively working the land, they are required to post the land.

To keep a mining claim in good standing, the owner is required to do work. The owners are required to file a statement of work periodically to validate they are holding the title in compliance with the Mineral Tenure Act. To do mechanized work, requires a permit under the Mines Act and the holding of a security. Bond. Exploration projects are audited and inspected by Gov on a regular scheduled basis.

Great information thanks J_T ,
    I have tried several times to contact the mining company, what's next check for a Notice of Work Permit under the mines act at the regional mines office?
    "A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be"

Fred Bear