Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Hunting on Mining Claims ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Northern BC
    Posts
    119

    Hunting on Mining Claims ?

    I can't find information on hunting on mineral tenures in either the Hunting Regs or in the Mineral Tenure Act. From my understanding mining claims are open to hunting and fair game on crown land, but it is possible on a mining lease that access can be restricted?

    Any one with information would be appreciated.
    "A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be"

    Fred Bear

  2. Site Sponsor

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the bush near a lake
    Posts
    6,637

    Re: Hunting on Mining Claims ?

    Yes mining claims can restrict access and hunting. I don’t know about small claims but it is very common for large mining operations

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36

    Re: Hunting on Mining Claims ?

    Claim owners cannot restrict access, mineral claims are still crown land, therefore public and the claim holder has only mineral and no surface rights. On a mining lease yes access and therefore hunting can be restricted, for example elk hunting on Tecks coal mines in the Elk Valley etc.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    278

    Re: Hunting on Mining Claims ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swissrallyman View Post
    Claim owners cannot restrict access, mineral claims are still crown land, therefore public and the claim holder has only mineral and no surface rights. On a mining lease yes access and therefore hunting can be restricted, for example elk hunting on Tecks coal mines in the Elk Valley etc.
    Right On SRM!
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,781

    Re: Hunting on Mining Claims ?

    I hunted on one. I called the company that has a claim. They said ok and that others do as well, and asked to let them know via email when I would be there so they could have a number of how many people go in.

    They seemed fine with it.
    Fastest way to share your pictures:
    www.imgur.com
    click "New Post" button at top then click "upload images"
    choose pic and wait for upload
    right-click : "copy" or "copy link address"
    paste into your post between [IMG ] [/ IMG] tags

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    6-8
    Posts
    858

    Re: Hunting on Mining Claims ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swissrallyman View Post
    Claim owners cannot restrict access, mineral claims are still crown land, therefore public and the claim holder has only mineral and no surface rights. On a mining lease yes access and therefore hunting can be restricted, for example elk hunting on Tecks coal mines in the Elk Valley etc.
    That's not true. They can restrict access if work is being done in that area, wcb would have a field day if they didn't. However if there is no work being done and no risk to persons or equipment should be no reason for a restriction

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,781

    Re: Hunting on Mining Claims ?

    Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    That's not true. They can restrict access if work is being done in that area, wcb would have a field day if they didn't. However if there is no work being done and no risk to persons or equipment should be no reason for a restriction
    This is correct, but unfortunately they will put up gates and if you ask a key they can always tell you "oh we will be there blasting that day" and chances are they will let you onto the land, but wont provide keys.
    Fastest way to share your pictures:
    www.imgur.com
    click "New Post" button at top then click "upload images"
    choose pic and wait for upload
    right-click : "copy" or "copy link address"
    paste into your post between [IMG ] [/ IMG] tags

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36

    Re: Hunting on Mining Claims ?

    Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    That's not true. They can restrict access if work is being done in that area, wcb would have a field day if they didn't. However if there is no work being done and no risk to persons or equipment should be no reason for a restriction
    Wcb has nothing to do with it because you aren't working for them. Even if work is being done you can still access and trespass onto a mineral claim. If there is active work they might escort you through. I deal with this all the time. Like I said a claim holder has rights to minerals beneath the surface and that's all. It's illegal to put up a gate in a mineral claim and prevent access.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,781

    Re: Hunting on Mining Claims ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swissrallyman View Post
    Wcb has nothing to do with it because you aren't working for them. Even if work is being done you can still access and trespass onto a mineral claim. If there is active work they might escort you through. I deal with this all the time. Like I said a claim holder has rights to minerals beneath the surface and that's all. It's illegal to put up a gate in a mineral claim and prevent access.
    People often confuse what's legal and what's actually being done.

    There are gates of questionable legality all over the place. What are you gonna do when you show up and theres a gate and you have no way to tell on the spot whether it's legal or not. Reality is most people get pissed off and move on.
    Fastest way to share your pictures:
    www.imgur.com
    click "New Post" button at top then click "upload images"
    choose pic and wait for upload
    right-click : "copy" or "copy link address"
    paste into your post between [IMG ] [/ IMG] tags

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36

    Re: Hunting on Mining Claims ?

    Unfortunately that's exactly right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •