Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camp stove suggestions

Re: Camp stove suggestions

We had a welder make us a stove, added a gasket and it’s air tight. Go for a week we use one match, burns for a little over 8 hours. Wood stove all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post

I still havent ruled out a propane heater like the big buddy, but really like the thought of a woodstove.
    Ron,

I have one if you want to borrow it for a try. I've only ever used it in my garage and it gave me a headache every time and burning propane for some reason causes an increase in humidity, guess its a byproduct of burning it.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

No surprise as burning 1 lb of liquid propane creates over 1 lb of water
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Just back from my first trip with a 10x12 walltent and Camp Chef Alpine Stove. Stove worked well burning standing dead timber. Got a fire going about an hour before bed with dry wood, damper open wide. Got a decent coal bed, loaded up two rounds "as big as would fit", closed damper. Fire burned out through the night but stove was still very warm to the touch in the morning.

My stove is configured with two 90 deg elbows tent side stove jack.

I was quite happy with this stove and the comfort it provided.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 10-28-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Just back from my first trip with a 10x12 walltent and Camp Chef Alpine Stove. Stove worked well burning standing dead timber. Got a fire going about an hour before bed with dry wood, damper open wide. Got a decent coal bed, loaded up two rounds "as big as would fit", closed damper. Fire burned out through the night but stove was still very warm to the touch in the morning.

My stove is configured with two 90 deg elbows tent side stove jack.

I was quite happy with this stove and the comfort it provided.
    same for us pretty much but we keep a 3 gal pot of water with lid on the wood stove for a constant supply of hot water when needed as well as acting as a heat sink to make the heat last a bit longer

I use the Camp Chef Alpine stove in a 14x17 wall tent. I got the hot water tank too, works really good. Get up for a pee every few hours during the night and throw in another couple pieces of wood.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Have been using a Cabelas Big Horn outfitter tent for a number of years now for our moose hunts up north.
    For the first couple of years we had a hippie killer sheet metal stove. As far as I am concerned, the only plus to the hippie killer was its' light weight. It did the job and was cheap but the tent was either roasting or freezing. Damper control was very poor and it was a top loading unit so there was no good place to set a pot of water for wash-up or tea. Last year we upgraded to the Camp Chef stove. It works really well. Better damper control. Longer burn time, especially if you put a big round piece on just before lights out. It holds bigger pieces of wood than the hippie killer. Also has front loading and a nice flat top with side racks for warming stuff or drying nits/toques/socks if you like.
    There are 4 of us in our hunting party. All of us agreed that the Camp Chef stove was the best gear upgrade we have made in recent years.
    Semper in excretum altum

Just came back from an 8 day hunt. 12 *14 wall tent and cylinder stove. From setting up on a Friday and lighting the stove up, it never went out until I packed up on the following Saturday. Burned some dry fir but mostly larch. Draft closed about 80% and chimney damper adjusted accordingly, the tent was always comfortable all night.

I’ve used kwik camp stoves and it was great. With the hot water tank. Google them
    BCWF
    VIPDC