Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camp stove suggestions

Camp stove suggestions

I just got an Cabela's Alaknak tent (13x27) and I'm looking for suggestions for a good stove (under $500). If possible maybe a pellet stove? I'm not planning on any cold winter trips, mainly summer/fall trips, in relatively mild weather, maybe temps around the freezing point.
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Camp stove suggestions

Davis tent makes a good cylinder style stove. A five gallon hot water tank with the stove should put you at your target price.

Pellet stove??? The woods is full of wood.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I’m not a fan of a wood stove. They don’t burn long enough and it’s either 110 degrees with the door open or the fire goes out and you’re freezing. The one thing they are really good for is drying your gear out though. The last few years we’ve been bringing a generator and running ceramic heaters overnight. I’d be interested to see how those diesel furnaces perform for efficiency and heat.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I’m not a fan of a wood stove. They don’t burn long enough and it’s either 110 degrees with the door open or the fire goes out and you’re freezing. The one thing they are really good for is drying your gear out though. The last few years we’ve been bringing a generator and running ceramic heaters overnight. I’d be interested to see how those diesel furnaces perform for efficiency and heat.
    Generator and electric heaters? Unless its going to get way below zero in the tent, nope not for me. Good sleeping bag and cold air I'll sleep better. Even on summer trips with the travel trailer I hear other campers heaters coming on at night and its like +10 degrees out. Don't know how they can stand it.

Usually put a little wood in the stove at night and let it burn out. Then have a fire bundle made up to put in the stove in the morning, in 10 minutes all is toasty warm again.

Any wood sove and a good spark arester cap, or burn dry popular wood.
    Last edited by MRP; 08-09-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus44 View Post
    I just got an Cabela's Alaknak tent (13x27) and I'm looking for suggestions for a good stove (under $500). If possible maybe a pellet stove? I'm not planning on any cold winter trips, mainly summer/fall trips, in relatively mild weather, maybe temps around the freezing point.
    Thanks
    My family and I have been using a 12x12 Alaknak tent for years now, we love it and will buy another when this wears out. Get the best stove you can get for you money. But also make sure it has good damper's. Once you learn your stove you load it set the damper and go to bed. You will find yourself using the woodstove in it all year round as we do haha. Good luck. Great purchase.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Generator and electric heaters? Unless its going to get way below zero in the tent, nope not for me. Good sleeping bag and cold air I'll sleep better. Even on summer trips with the travel trailer I hear other campers heaters coming on at night and its like +10 degrees out. Don't know how they can stand it.

Usually put a little wood in the stove at night and let it burn out. Then have a fire bundle made up to put in the stove in the morning, in 10 minutes all is toasty warm again.

Any wood sove and a good spark arester cap, or burn dry popular wood.
    I’m not afraid to sleep in the cold. I was out last year and it dropped down to at least -10 or better and I was sleeping by myself in an msr backpacking tent about 50 km from my truck. The worst part is putting your boots on in the morning, pulling them out of a nice warm sleeping bag and straight into a -10 ice box.

But if theres going to be heat, I don’t like wood stoves.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Marcus, I am in the same situation. I have been looking at the Camp Chef Alpine stove for my 10x12 wall tent. Comes with stove pipe as well for about $329.

I still havent ruled out a propane heater like the big buddy, but really like the thought of a woodstove.

Im not looking to have 24/7 heat, but drying gear and having the ability to keep the tent dry is my main requirement. That said, we had a COLD late Oct deer hunt a couple years ago. Going to sleep in a warm tent and having the ability to start a fire in the morning would be nice.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 08-09-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

I can not imagine anything other than a wood stove in a tent that will allow it. Unless a smaller tent with no stove jack then sure a Big buddy heater works and kicks out a lot of heat. Pellets ? You are going to pack how many sacks to the bush with you for a hunting trip, plus a generator that will be large enough to run the stove also, unless they make them that do not need a feeder and fan. Nothing will take the dampness away like a wood stove and also dry things the best also. I have heard of many different stoves still having a fire in morning, so no restarting, and warm all night. Plus you have fuel all around you no packing it in needed or packing out also. check out youtube
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

^^^couple whisky’s before bed.....up 5hrs later to take a leak and stoke fire.....still glowing nicely and keeping the chill off come morning.