Thread: Caching Water

Caching Water

Hey Everyone,

I was lucky enough to draw the 8-03 September sheep tag this season. I will be scouting the area over the next month and plan on hiking in water to cache up high during my scouting trips so I can save weight later. How have you cached water for later use? Type of containers, ways to keep critters out etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Caching Water

Congrats on an awesome tag!!

I have simply left water bottles behind and had no issue. I left them away from the trail, under a dead fall log near a cliffy section. Definitely out of the way of any large animal that might be walking by in that area.

If you anticipate lots of rodents, maybe some aluminum bottles or canteens. But i just did some good ol plastic bottles and it was fine

Never needed to worry about it up the ashanola
    take a good filter
    several lakes to get water from

Platypus filter you will love yourself for it rough country but worth the effort

keep them in the shade.

have a plan B in case they aren't where you left them or something damaged them.

Will do, thanks for the advice everyone!

Tried the plastic bottle thing many years ago - bears love the plastic and will chew them to sh*t if and when they find them. Be prepared for that if that's your plan. Awesome area you're heading into. Scout it as much as you can and soak it in. With the fire last year lots of areas have greened up considerably. Sheep will always be found in their traditional areas but the fresh green is a good bet.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuiper View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I was lucky enough to draw the 8-03 September sheep tag this season. I will be scouting the area over the next month and plan on hiking in water to cache up high during my scouting trips so I can save weight later. How have you cached water for later use? Type of containers, ways to keep critters out etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers
    There is a number of springs up there depending on where you are looking at basing out of.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."