Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Binos - Diamondback or Crossfire

Vortex Binos - Diamondback or Crossfire

I am looking at getting my first pair of good binoculars for this fall and wanted opinions on the Vortex Diamondback and Crossfire series. Plan was to get the Diamondback 10x50 but looking at the Crossfire specs and it actually has greater FOV at a sacrifice of 2mm eye relief (also a better price). What ends up being more beneficial in the field? and are their other pros/cons that I am missing?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Vortex Binos - Diamondback or Crossfire

Well if you want your first pair good pair binoculars don't look at vortex.
    Last edited by sako79; 08-06-2019 at 09:50 PM.

I don't know much about bino specs, but folks seem to like the Diamondback line. I've got lots of Vortex- really like it all.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I’ve got the diamondback 8x42. Coming from cheap bushnells, they are great for a rookie hunter like me, though maybe 10x42 or 10x50 would be better. I got mine cheap as the local lens and shutter went out of business, got mine for $200 new.

I haven’t compared to any top tier stuff, but to me they are clear, don’t fog up, and adjust really smooth. I think the eye relief is also a benefit, especially if you use a tripod with them as you don’t have to smash your face into them.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

I used the diamondback for 10 years. They worked well for me. There are way better options out there, but they are very good bang for the buck.

nikons are worth a peak
    leupold bx-1 are decent ~$230ish
    leupold bx-2 goes on sale once in a while as well

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    Well if you want your first pair good pair binoculars don't look at vortex.
    They are one of the top brands, what is it you dont loke about them? What is your brand of choice and what makes them better?

Quote Originally Posted by DeepJeep View Post
    nikons are worth a peak
    leupold bx-1 are decent ~$230ish
    leupold bx-2 goes on sale once in a while as well
    Thanks! I will take a look at them for sure. I run a nikon scope so should take a look at their products too i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by local.604 View Post
    They are one of the top brands, what is it you dont loke about them? What is your brand of choice and what makes them better?
    They have a reputation of needing warranting work. They spend a lot of money on marketing... What good is a warranty of u need it I guess. Don't get me wrong, I own a couple of viper scopes but my go to is Leupold. Nikon would be my #2. Swaroski is nice but expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepJeep View Post
    They have a reputation of needing warranting work. They spend a lot of money on marketing... What good is a warranty of u need it I guess. Don't get me wrong, I own a couple of viper scopes but my go to is Leupold. Nikon would be my #2. Swaroski is nice but expensive.
    This is such crap. People love to bash inexpensive things and then then it gets regurgitated for years.

There are stories of every top brand needing warranty work on this forum, not to mention other forums on the net. Zeiss, Swarovski, leica .... it's all been discussed here as needing warranty work at some time or another. Nothing is bulletproof.

Of course, the more you spend the better the product should be, and it generally is. But that doesnt mean one cant buy a set of $250 binoculars and be happy for years.

The reality is that $250 vortex diamondback nowdays are probably better than 30 year zeiss. Probably more waterproof, lighter .... and definitely covered under an awesome warranty.

And you got a draw a line somewhere. If his budget is $300 then his budget is $300.

No one NEEDS expensive binos to get the job done. They are just nice to have.