Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: August Bunny March

Re: August Bunny March

Quote Originally Posted by DannyO View Post
    Weekend no.2
    I went farther east in my search. Again I came across many deer, bear, some great exploring beautiful country but not a single bunny crossed my eye. I find it so interesting as a new hunter to come across pockets that clearly are teeming with deer, got me all fired up and had a brilliant weekend out there solo eyeing up deer..even if I did come home empty handed.

Next week I’m headed south into a completely different area that I’ve heard suggested and have high hopes haha be an adventure at the very least!

..Maybe save me a bowl Lord.
    You are doing it right. Keep doing it. It is all about finding new territory and making note of the sign you see. Hunting rabbits may well have introduced you to some hot deer territory.

For what it is worth, I spend a lot of time in Region 2 and rarely see a rabbit. I see a few up near Lillooet in Region 3 but in all my travels in BC the only time I saw enough rabbits to consider targeting them was south of Eastgate on the Hope Princeton and that was almost 10 years ago.

Good luck, you already know it is about the journey, not the kill, so you're ahead of the game. Have fun.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyO View Post
    Weekend no.2
    I went farther east in my search. Again I came across many deer, bear, some great exploring beautiful country but not a single bunny crossed my eye. I find it so interesting as a new hunter to come across pockets that clearly are teeming with deer, got me all fired up and had a brilliant weekend out there solo eyeing up deer..even if I did come home empty handed.

Next week I’m headed south into a completely different area that I’ve heard suggested and have high hopes haha be an adventure at the very least!

..Maybe save me a bowl Lord.
    You got this! Especially if you have a friend show you a spot... lolz

Important point of interest - Hare are different from Rabbit. Snowshoe Hare are born precotial: have dark meat, does not dig Warrens and are a BC Small Game species mostly found east of where you're looking, outta the Coast Range tho can be found BC wide! Cottontail rabbit are Schedule C.
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 08-15-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Weekend number 4(3)
    sat out last weekend feeling under the weather but was back at it this weekend chasing rabbits. Checked out a new area yet again because from everything I’ve read and all the suggestions and comments made on here, it just started to sound like I was in the wrong areas.

Saw a couple Saturday night but couldn’t get close enough, up before the sun ready to walk the roads I’d seen them the night before.. first 2 hours Not a rabbit to be seen, just friendly grouse and some deer.
    Got my first glimpse of mr rabbit about 8.30am, he’s off and gone before I can hope to shoot.. 50 yards down the road another one, i sneak closer..I raise my shotgun,he runs, I miss lol
    feeling like an ass I continue my walk and remember a piece of advice from ‘walks with deer’ to recheck spots after some time,so I walk back to the truck to make a quick coffee and figure I can get em on a second round.
    sure enough after my coffee I walk back up there and he is right in the same spot chewing on the same greens.

It was a cool experience to shoot,skin and gut my first animal, all be it a tiny fella. Thanks for the helpful comments and tips lads. Have him soaking in buttermilk and will make a fine feed for tomorrows dinner.

Roll on next weekend!
    Last edited by DannyO; 09-04-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Right on, congratulations! Thanks for the update.