Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August Bunny March

August Bunny March

Hey guys,
    I知 a brand new hunter and have set myself a goal of getting out to try kick up hare/rabbits every weekend in August. I think it値l be a good place to start and at the very least I値l get to know the country I get in too.
    If any of you experienced guys/gals can help with tips,suggestions or advice you might have and hopefully answer some of my questions. I壇 appreciate it!

Trip no.1
    I took a drive up past the coquihalla Rec area this weekend and spent an evening and an early morning trying to kick up rabbits along the service roads.. aimed for roads with thick bush either side or cut blocks with regrowth and dense bush...tried is the key word.
    i came across a lot of deer in my walks which was really cool as they will be the focus in the future, but sadly only one bunnie and that was right as I was leaving the area in my truck.. I left happy I got out and explored a new area but with so many questions!

Ive read this is the low point of their cycle, but 6-7 hours of trying to stir them up, I figure I would be kicking up more than one in this time frame. I wonder does that mean they just aren稚 here..although I知 not ruling out I知 doing it all ass backwards.

-am I searching in the right terrain? (I feel like if I go into thicker bush even if I do kick up one there痴 no way I get a shot off on it) is that why most people seem to report taking them on the roads.

next week I値l im go beyond Merritt and see what that country has in store for me.

Danny

2. Site Sponsor

Re: August Bunny March

when you find one hare go back to that spot like 10 minutes later or hide in the bushes..it is a low year for hare.

That makes sense. Thank you

hare make colonys you if you see one there is normally lots...evening is best...bring ice in cooler you will want to chill them quickly.

Slowly drive or walk the roads either the first couple hours of light or the last couple, look for roads lined with alder, usually by blocks of re growth 10-15 years old..

Very slow year again. Leaving any I see for seed.

August, I love it! Happy Hunting all. I'm surely out to get after a few upcoming. Yet again looking for meat to stew!

Update - there's stew in the pot now, folks! Hare a plenty about where I've been Hunting. Best to all

There's always some along the FSR to Mount Cheam - Chipmunk Creek off Chilliwack Lake Rd smiling at me as I ride my ATV. They are quick to dart into their hole so have to be a fast shot.

Weekend no.2
    I went farther east in my search. Again I came across many deer, bear, some great exploring beautiful country but not a single bunny crossed my eye. I find it so interesting as a new hunter to come across pockets that clearly are teeming with deer, got me all fired up and had a brilliant weekend out there solo eyeing up deer..even if I did come home empty handed.

Next week I’m headed south into a completely different area that I’ve heard suggested and have high hopes haha be an adventure at the very least!

..Maybe save me a bowl Lord.