Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skunks and dogs

Skunks and dogs

Has anyone had their dog hosed down by a skunk? Mine got it last Monday night,must’ve been close as his face is quite bad-losing some hair and red.

after it happened I washed him with peroxide/baking soda/Dawn dish soap,and let him dry and repeated 3 times. Then I went at at with a natural skunk romper from the local feed store. Then another skunk product. He’s still got some skunk stench. How long will it take to clear up? Has anyone’s dog had skin issues after,or any other negative issues?

thanks,

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Skunks and dogs

tomato juice was our long ago remedy.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Tomato juice does not work. The only thing that kind of works is dawn dish soap with peroxide and vinegar. But when the dog gets wet after that it still lingers for a couple of months.

Hydrogen Peroxide + Vinegar
    Experts say this method is safe — but don't mix the two products in the same container. Combining them creates peracetic acid, which is potentially toxic and can irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory system.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by ncurrie View Post
    Tomato juice does not work. The only thing that kind of works is dawn dish soap with peroxide and vinegar. But when the dog gets wet after that it still lingers for a couple of months.
    Agreed, research and experience tell me tomato juice is useless. You have to destroy the oily molecules that carry that stench

Hmmm Ebony rolled in the remains of a dead skunk...Susan tried the tomato juice..6 large tins..
    absolutely did not work..as been said correctly...Dawn dish soap tears down the oils. .however it took 4 washings and 4 weeks to get er done..
    Cheers
    Steven

Worked well with my dog!
    The peroxide method.

Unfortunately this is 100% the truth.

X4 vinegar dish soap and baking soda was the only thing that workedr

Never heard of using vinegar in the solution. The solution I have known to work well is:

1 litre of household 3% hydrogen peroxide
    ½ cup baking soda
    1 tsp liquid dish soap

Mix well in a sufficiently large container.
    Saturate affected area thoroughly.
    Rinse immediately and well.
    Do not cap or prepare ahead of time as this solution is volatile.
    Unused liquid should be discarded immediately after application.
    The treatment should be conducted outdoors.