Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting pressure around Vernon/Lumby/Cherryville/Sugar Lake

Re: Hunting pressure around Vernon/Lumby/Cherryville/Sugar Lake

I have seen some decent bucks (MD) come out of there over the past 10 years or so.
    They are there.
    Good old days, you will see some in the BC books that came from the Lumby country and surrounding areas, both WT and MD.
    One thing everyone has to remember, the seasons were open a lot longer back then, so any big bucks by the end of December were down and there was way more snow back then.
    Plus, many of those bucks were taken on "private farm land".

The bucks I have seen of late were taken around Nov long weekend.
    You will have to hike and get off the roads.
    Wolves are not helping for sure.
    Lots of areas were wolves are coming into the past 5 or 6 years now that never had them before, so its only going to get worse.

Wow! Didn't expect to get such an awesome group of responses to this thread. Usually anyone asking about location information is ignored or given short form answers, so I thought i was taking a shot in the dark here. Thanks everyone for being so forthcoming and helpful with information. I'm supposed to be in the area the first week of September, so I'll take a day or two and poke around the areas mentioned, get a lay of the land. Hopefully get lucky with the bow, if not I'll be back in October to try again.

Cheers to all!

I used to hunt the Lightning Peaks, Mt. Sciaa area opening day alpine for MD.
    Sadly, when quads came along, they went into areas they weren't supposed to be.
    But a bigger problem, in my opinion, was the logging that happened, going ever higher to the alpine etc.
    So much more access etc.
    But worse, it seemed to "disperse the deer".
    Used to hunt old burns, and lots of deer in there when there was virtually zero logging around.
    But once logging happened, the deer all went their separate ways.

Again, late season hunting doesn't exist for us as it did back in the day, so less big bucks to see and pursue.
    Milder these days as well and wolves, and again, I think logging benefitted them as well to move into new territory.

May want to try hitting the Monashees more?, between Sugar Lakes and Revelstoke.
    Lots of high country wilderness in there to explore, if you want to put in the effort and have a good back still.

Spend the first ten days of nov and you’ll find a mature mulie, nov.15-20 you’ll find a mature WT. That’s spending the entire day in the bush, well for me anyway...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..