Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Region 5er Looking to Head North

Region 5er Looking to Head North

Hello All, I'm a long time member and have gained a huge amount of knowledge from the site but have never taken the time to contribute much so I figured I would share a few photos of the Cariboo from the last few hikes I've taken in beautiful region 5 and also reach out for some advice as I have dreams of heading north and trying my hand at sheep hunting for the first time this fall. I've spent the last few years exploring various areas in the Cariboo attempting to hunt Alpine mulies and even take a crack at the GOS for goats in the area. So far I've been unsuccessful but the time certainly wasn't wasted. As for sheep hunting I know very little and am fairly intimidated about driving 12Hrs to an unknown area and heading into the mountains. My plan is fairly simple at this point, drive to Muncho Lake, hike in from the Highway and hunt for 7 days solo the first week of September. If anyone has taken on a similar adventure and feels like having a chat I would love to pick your brain. . I'm interested in getting some advice on water in the mountains, conditions of the creeks (how much ground can I reasonably expect to cover and are my distances I want to cover unrealistic), or maybe just general rules of thumb for hunting solo like how far you travel from camp daily looking for sheep (I know I have a tendency of getting a long ways from camp) also what other animals I might encounter Goats, caribou, bears. Anyways If anyone would like to chat sheep or hunting or is looking for some info on Region 5 I would be happy to give them a call or have a chat.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 5er Looking to Head North

Great pictures, thanks for sharing

God's country! Wow!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Hmmmm having lived here for over 30 years..pretty comfortable hunting around The Pond..however send me a PM with phone number, I will call..we can set up a time for coffee..and go over maps for sheep..cali..or stone or dall. You pick..
    I leave on holidays in 2 weeks
    Cheers
    steven

If Srupp is offering to call you and give you advice. I suggest you take him up on it. He has helped many members out on their adventures. Wish I had knowledge of the area you are going or about sheep hunting to offer you. Best of luck on your adventure! Great pics thanks for sharing.
    Brian

X2, would be wise to have that phone call with Srupp. Nicest guy you’ll meet and very knowledgeable , you won’t regret it.

Fantastic pics and nice pup! Does he or she do the overnight trips with you?

i will be up that way as well for my first time! I will be in a slightly different area hunting moose, elk, and sheep. Happy to chat on what I am planning and such. I am using horses though to get to 'base camp' and going with a friend who has guided up there in the past (also his animals) so I bet I have asked all the questions you have to him over the past 2 months!

I'll be coming back the week that you're heading up. There's an abundance of game in the area, even if you don't see a legal ram (I didn't last year) you're still going to have a hell of an adventure. It's an eye opening experience and I'm excited just thinking about it. Best of luck to you ripper!