Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Huge Chinook runs in California

Re: Huge Chinook runs in California

they did kill demamiel dam? I know they said they were but... I hoped... that was a 50,000$ upgrade it needed...50k is dick all

Quote Originally Posted by VI Blacktails View Post
    Off of Port Renfrew we have been hammering the Columbians (US) fish in July and early August.It used to go nuts mid August for resident fish returning but not lately.The Americans definetly have done better fish hatcheries and management.
    I'll be in Port Renfrew August 11th, here's hoping the fish will be too. I'll post it up when we return.

They went in with sledge hammers and smashed the valves..

September 18, 2012

A small dam on a productive salmon stream near Sooke will be bulldozed by Fisheries and Oceans Canada next year despite fears that this could wipe out the coho run.
    "We are moving ahead with decommissioning, but it's too late in the season to do it this year," said Dan Bate, DFO spokesman.

"The reservoir has now been drained, so whether or not the structure is in place doesn't make much difference," he said.
    A backhoe will be used to bulldoze the earthen dam, Bate said.

"No explosives will be involved."
    The Bill James Dam, on De Mamiel Creek, about 11 kilometres northwest of the mouth of the Sooke River, was officially decommissioned last fall, despite an outcry from the Sooke Salmon Enhancement Society and area politicians.
    DFO removed the control valve, so water flows could not be controlled, after deciding an engineering review and possible repairs to the dam it owns would cost too much.
    Facing budget restraints, DFO is reviewing all infrastructure and maintenance costs.
    Mike Hicks, Juan de Fuca electoral area regional director, said he had hoped that DFO would reverse the decision because of an outcry from fishermen, the Salmon Enhancement Society, First Nations and politicians.
    The decision to bulldoze the dam, instead of repairing the valve, is disappointing, Hicks said.
    "This is incredible. Shame, shame, shame," he said.
    "The department has totally abandoned the most important part of bringing our salmon back - the restoration of habitat for salmon," he said.
    The dam, designed to help salmon runs by preventing the creek from drying up in the summer, was built in the 1970s by members of the Sooke Conservation Society, helped by DFO.
    It was funded by community donations.
    Glen Varney, enhancement society spokesman, said he is hoping some coho fry survived this year as the wet start to summer allowed scattered pools to remain in the creek.
    The coho run is not expected until late October, Varney said.
    "I hope we are going to get some rain by then," he said.
    DFO spokesmen said previously that they believe the coho run will survive without the dam because the amount of water released does not make a major difference to the fish.

And that’s what DFO thinks of the volunteers efforts to restore salmon

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    And that’s what DFO thinks of the volunteers efforts to restore salmon
    No FN involved either....hmmmm???
    or am I wrong and they were at the time???

What we have is a mishmash of politically correct regulations and educated wackos deciding to break water control dams that volunteers built to ensure smolts would survive,and do nothing but conduct ‘studies’ documenting what we already knew...the Chinook were in trouble and what we needed,put more fish in the system like they did in California which has paid off in a burgeoning Chinook population for recreational anglers.Not rocket science.
    I think we can do it,but is not going to be an instant fix,and even if they do restore the chinook runs to historic levels its too late for me,I’m 72,but maybe my grandchildren will see it and I hope the lesson will not be forgotten,
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 08-02-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Rather Be Fishing.
    You may be right that its too late for you, but maybe not.... 4-6 year turn around with Larges being 8.. that isn't out of reach. AND as you very well know. Our Kids need to see us fight for it or it will just go the way of the Dodo and every city slicking voter no nothing will be all ok with it all going to the FN because they were here first.

guest Guest

Wanna Build more Salmon.......
    Look to the USA.
    Washington alone......87 hatcheries.
    BC.....16 and closing more. Yet Bafoon DFO and the Liberals are increasing Vedder River spring smolts by 1 mill to a total of 2 mill.
    A spit in the Fraser......considering 47% are eatin up by Seals and Sea lions at the River mouth.
    Another comparison......1 single hatchery system in Northern California raised 14 Million Salmon alone.
    Canada, DFO, the politically correct ENGOs and antis seem to figure our Wild Salmon Policy will grow more wild fish and return our rivers to the one was......never going to happen.
    In the mean time we have the Largest amount of Sea based Fish Farms growing non native Atlantic Salmon crap on our Coastlines destroying everything natural in its path.
    What a bunch of Spineless hypocritcal BS from our so called leaders and managers of our resources. Pathetic.

Lies and mistruths continue from these decision makers. Not even using their own Science and recommendations.....example the Cohen commision.

Thank goodness for the USA and its management or we would have dick shat to fish for most the time.

For the unaccountability of FNs in Fisheries and Game management, we will Never have Sustainability. For Eff sake. Take responsibility for your actions. Stop the slaughter of Salmon and Steelhead with the blockage of Rivers from side to side with nets and ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY.
    Last edited by guest; 08-02-2019 at 09:21 AM.

HERE is what "I WORRY ABOUT".

We are seeing that the FN want to "be in control" of their "traditional ways" (which is subjective in regards to what they use to harvest salmon/wildlife, because we all know that modern nets was not traditional tools).
    They want control, and they want agreements and even more so, they want our money to "fix it all up" for them, because we are the ones to blame
    for the demise".
    SO, we give them full control now, and we give them our money (our tax dollars), we help correct the issue to probably a small degree (knowing the DFO), and then in the end, they take credit for it, but at the same time, can have "us non FN" shut down to fishing for the salmon.
    Because they will state it was them that "Rehabilitated" the Salmon producing rivers!

This is the problem with 2 different groups in our laws now.
    It should be that we "All help to fix it up" (as Curly says).
    And we only be allowed to harvest "hatchery salmon".
    We all take credit, we all get the same chances to harvest.

But we have an issue and that is with the Steelhead.
    There is just "no way" we should allow these big nets across the rivers!!
    Scoop netting or other means where one can see "oh, that's a steelhead" and throw it back into the river system while it is unharmed and still alive.

The way we have it now, it will always be a battle.
    There wont be a "Togetherness".
    There wont be a "united we stand".
    It will be a "divided we fall"!!!