Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Day pack

Re: Day pack

My back. I am rather tall though so it may have been a fitting issue. Regardless though, hauling a critter out with it wouldn’t be a good time IMO

I love my eberlestock gun runner pack

I've had an eberlestock X2 for a day pack for several years. It carries all I need for day trips and has hauled lots of meat. Even has had bone in moose legs on it. No issues or break downs for some pretty good abuse. The longest pack out with a heavy load was around a mile. You knew you had a load but it was doable and could have gone farther. It was around 179.00 bucks but that's sometime ago. It has a rigid frame and I think that really helps a small pack when loaded heavy.

I found the Badlands too hot and sweaty - poor circulation.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I’d look at finding an older used arcteryx bora 40. One of the Canadian made ones. Super comfortable and very well made. Can be used to bring first load of meat out as well. It’s a little heavy but durable.

I have a 2200, an older one. It carries all I want, but I wouldn't use it as a meat hauler. I'm also a tall skinny type guy, so lengthwise it's great for me at 6'2" but the waist belt is cinched as tight as possible on a 31" waist and it's not -quite- enough.
    I would look into one with back ventilation though. It can be a bit warm, but I'm usually wearing rain gear anyway!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I have a badlands 2200.

Over the last 2 years I have taken on relatively small hikes with about 20lbs including the bag and it was comfortable.

Recently I have added weight to it, so total weight around 30-35lbs. I have done 6 hikes on the weekends over the last couple of months. Mt Seymour, Cypress, etc... and its been comfortable. I did not get any rubbing. I had to stop once at each of the hikes to take my backpack off and relieve some pressure.

I am 5 10" with a waist 34-35ish right now and there still is plenty of adjustment left at all points.

Bottomline: if you can find it at a good price (they rarely go on sale), get it. It wont be a meat hauler like a frame pack would be. but it does have a built in aluminum (?) frame. Tons of pockets- which I like as I can remember where all items are. I have gotten used to it.

See if you can try on some different ones. Mystery ranch is really good too.

Would I buy it again? I would definitely like to try others ones first.

And btw, warranty is awesome. I lost the waist buckle (both make and female)and they sent me 2 sets, just in case... I like that.

Think of backpacks like shoes.
    Would you buy one without trying it on?
    I'd venture to say that many of us have a backpack we bought without trying that sit somewhere in a dark corner never seeing the light of day.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    I've had an eberlestock X2 for a day pack for several years. It carries all I need for day trips and has hauled lots of meat. Even has had bone in moose legs on it. No issues or break downs for some pretty good abuse. The longest pack out with a heavy load was around a mile. You knew you had a load but it was doable and could have gone farther. It was around 179.00 bucks but that's sometime ago. It has a rigid frame and I think that really helps a small pack when loaded heavy.
    This. I've had my X2 for a half dozen years and no plans to change it out. I even paid a little less than that, todbartell had a real good sale on I'm not sure what they are now. With the aluminum frame design they convert to a not so mini pack board which is handy as hell I don't think I've seen another day pack like them. They weigh 5 lbs empty so there's lighter ones out there just triple your budget and I'm sure you'll be able to shave off 2 maybe even 3 lbs! lol But they probably won't have a rigid frame and they won't have the versatility.

its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I found the Badlands too hot and sweaty - poor circulation.
    Same as above, and it feel apart after 2 weeks of hard bush use. Warranty was best part about it. Sold the new pack when it came in. Used exo would be great option.