Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micro 355 or Bulldog 400?

Micro 355 or Bulldog 400?

Looking at getting a crossbow to take advantage of the archery season for moose. I can get the Micro 355 or the Bulldog 400 for the same price. They both have a draw weight of 280lbs and from what I’ve read, that’s getting up there for cocking effort. The Micro 355 is more compact and comes with a crank but the extra power of the Bulldog 400 for moose is hard to ignore.

What do guys suggest?
    Last edited by bcsteve; 07-28-2019 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Micro 355 or Bulldog 400?

I have the Micro 355. The cocking effort is half the draw weight because the cocking device has a pulley system. A person of average height, 5'8"-5'10" will have to shorten the cocking aid to make the latch up. That means that you will have to hand pull the string to get the pulleys onto the string to be able to cock. I may have to invest in a cocking aid. If so, it will be the charger EXT.
    As for moose hunting, either will accomplish the job, bolt shot placement will be the determining factor.
    Duration time between the initial shot and a quick follow shot is near a minute . Much slower than shooting a regular bow. A mechanical cocking aid may be even slower.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I purchased the micro 360 Excalibur just a short while ago and so far am impressed indeed.
    It came with the mechanical cocking aid as well as the rope cocker and 4 bolts (arrows).
    Through my own mistake I damaged the winch cocking aid so used the rope cocker to shoot
    several times until I had the bow hitting dead center at 20 yards. I am 73 years old and 5 ft
    7 1/2 inches high and was able to load the bow with the rope cocker without serious effort once
    I got the hang of it. I had been a successful compound bow hunter for a great many years
    while shooting with 70 limbs until arthritis took over and I reduced the limbs to 60 lbs. I wouldn't
    hesitate to shoot a moose with the 60 lb Dream Season I have. This crossbow has far more
    kinetic energy. At 20 yds the bolts were burying themselves in the crossbow specific target block
    right up to the flights. I will have to get the mechanical winch cocker fixed so that I can unload
    the bow without having to shoot a dummy bolt.

BYW Big Lew. You don’t need to fire an arrow to dé-cock. Page 10
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I’m leaning towards the extra power of the Bulldog. It’s not much bigger than the Micro. I checked them both out at Cabelas today. Decisions, decisions....

If i was buying a new crossbow today, i'd be buying a take down model - not really answering your dilemma just throwing another Excalibur into it.

Power wise they all do the job - i was using an older 330 which last year did a pass through on a mule deer at 70+yds and i have a Matrix 380 which i'm changing to this year. The Micro and Bulldog will have the same result with shot placement being equal, the Bulldog won't make up for a bad shot.
    I like the take down for the size in transporting and storing mainly and the accuracy is supposedly not compromised.

Does the 16.5” vs 18” bolt difference between the two make a difference ballistic or effectiveness wise? Now I’m leaning towards the Micro...

You have to be more cognizant of FOC with the 16.5 bolts. That means you have to have a heavier head , be it field point or broadhead. Considering that Excalibur states that 350 gr minimum bolt weight all inclusive.

Thanks for the input guys, ended up picking up the Micro 355.

Good choice, with shot placement its all you'll ever need. I love the micro series, after having an Exocet with such a large wingspan, the second I saw the micro I bumped up. A friend has an exomax, my god its like watching jeebus carrying his cross around, that thing is so big. Fast x bows need heavy heads, like 150 gr min.