Thread: Going down the rabbit hole... Recommend me a press or DIY press plans and other tools

Going down the rabbit hole... Recommend me a press or DIY press plans and other tools

Well I'm getting sucked in to wanting to be able to tune my bow and build my own arrows.
    What press do you have? I wouldn't mind building my own press and draw board if anyone can recommend a decent set of plans.
    What other tools are a must have?
    -Arrow spinner
    -Saw
    -Fletching jig
    -Squaring tool
    Where is a good place to pick them up?
    I picked up my bow from Big Game Archery and Wayne was pretty nice so if he has some stuff I'm looking for I would probably go there. Just looking to put together a list first but if there's anywhere else I should be looking let me know.
    I'm in Mission if anyone needs a bow tuning apprentice.
    Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Going down the rabbit hole... Recommend me a press or DIY press plans and other t

I built a bow press....google "pipe bow press, Archery Talk". Same for a drawboard, and Princess Auto has inexpensive boat trailer winches and the hardware you'll need for the drawboard. Not sure about the best place to get an electronic scale as I bought my buddy's about 15 years ago.

I cut carbon arrow shafts with a 90 tooth carbide saw blade on my 10" cabinet saw....but have cut them with a dremel tool and a jig I rigged up. An arrow saw would be nice but my system works.

A bow square to measure nocking point height, Allen wrenches are necessary...I like the yellow handled archery set but any SAE set will work if it has a wide variety of sizes....Canadian Tire etc. I use anti-seize on any steel screws that go into aluminum, typically the riser, sights, cams, rest, etc. Tape measure and notebook to write down all specs on your bow. A spirit level and vise with plywood padded jaws to clamp the bow vertically to set up your sight...a bow vise would be nice but I make do with a regular swivel vise mounted so I can turn it out in front of the bench so the bow can hang down. I also plumb the bow with a 4' level in the vise but you could use the spirit level and a straight piece of wood to accomplish the same.

For arrows I like a Bic lighter and a propane torch that can be set down to very low flame as I use Bohning Ferr-l-tite Hot Melt glue on arrows for outserts, but most just use epoxies or super-glues. Hot Melt allows outserts to be removed, the others are permanent. Some dental floss for temporary nocking points and Wind-checker strings...needs to be the multistand unwaxed for wind checking.

I use a 45 year old Bitzenberger arrow fletcher...point is you should have a fletching tool. Also extra fletch and glue, spare nocks, spare string, spare silencers, stick on felt for the shelf of the riser and bottom of the sight ring...etc.

Good luck!!!

Re: Going down the rabbit hole... Recommend me a press or DIY press plans and other t

Cool thanks. Another question I have is how are you mounting the press and draw board to your work bench? I’m in the middle of planning a new work bench in the garage and I’d like to be able to easily mount and remove all the archery tools, reloading stuff and be able to move my vices around as well. Any good quick release options a little fancier than regular clamps? Probably weld up a frame and put a heavy wood top about 10’L X 2’-3’W

I clamp the draw board in my big Craftsman swivel vise perpendicular to the workbench. The drawboard is a 2"x6" x about 5-1/2' long so you need some room to do that. Drawboard is only out when in use, otherwise is stored away.

The pipe bow press will sit nicely on the work bench without being clamped down. The bow sits in the press pointed upward with the string down next to the pipe.